Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arctic Silver compound and copper spacer... WOW!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arctic Silver compound and copper spacer... WOW!

Picked up a copper spacer and some Arctic Silver compound this week, decided it was time to replace the compound on my MC-1000 since the warm summer weather made the case temp higher than normal

It used to run at 58f, booted up and ran 3dMark2000 (got a little over 3600 )and the temp never goes over 49f!!!!

Don't know which one was mostly responsible for the improvement, but I'm very happy
    jim

------------------
    P3-700e @ 1052! Check it here!
    Abit BE6-2
    TwinMos 128mb pc-133
    G400 32mb DH
    Maxtor 15.3gb 7,200rpm
    SB Live!
    Winblows 98se & DX7
    and 384k DSL!
    System 1:
    AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
    Epox 8K7A
    2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
    an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
    SBLIVE 5.1
    Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
    IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
    Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
    3Com Hardware Modem
    Teac 20/10/40 burner
    Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Is this a new cold plate (solid) or the shim with the cutout to fit around the processor??

Paul
    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

It had a cold plate already, this is a shim with a cut-out for the slug
      jim
      System 1:
      Epox 8K7A
      SBLIVE 5.1
      IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
      3Com Hardware Modem
      Teac 20/10/40 burner

Comment

And I've been saying that almost all year now. Copper spacers do the trick! Artic Silver just makes it just that tad bit better!
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Still waiting for my little copper HSF anf Artic Silver to reach grrrrr. Anybody used the ATTech CM25 Solid Copper HSF ? Saw in a review where they were better than the Chrome orbs, and close to the Alphas
          [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
          Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
          Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
          Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
          Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

At least the ATTech won't chip your processor or break your socket. I've read of many who had to replace their processors, slotkets or mobos because of the "Gorbage" clips.
            The edges of my P3-800 are chipped from an encounter with a Gorb. I just had it on and off one time while waiting for an Alpha heatsink that I ordered.

So, I'm scrounging around this weekend looking through my stashes of copper and silver sheet for making jewelry to find the right size piece for a spacer.
            I have this gut feeling that one of these next times I remove and reattach a heatsink
            my P3 is going to crack unless I start using a spacer.

I've prepared enough samples for SEM (Scanning Electon Microscope)cross sections to know how easily it is for silicon to crack once you nick the edge.

You can nick the edge of a whole wafer with a diamond scribe and get them to break with very little pressure. We have a guy at work who can do this so precisely that he can simply nick and break right through any structure in specific die on a whole wafer.
            Without this talent one needs to polish the sample until you hit the requested structures which takes too much time. So, now on the SEM requests I tell him to just "Snap and Shoot" whatever structures I need to see.

I'm babbling here.... Protect those processor chips!!! They are very fragile

Paul
            "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Even with the standard Cooler Master POS HSFyu can chip the edge of the processor. I think I may have done this early on
              [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
              Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
              Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
              Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
              Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Ya, they are all bad especially due to the F@@#@king spring clips that are used on the socket processor heatsinks. This usually results in uneven pressure when you install one by yourself. You have to put one side on first which then tends to make contact with the processor on that end. So, you tend to rock the heatsink in place instead of being able to evenly clamp it in place all at once.

The only good solution I've seen are the "screw type" clamps that Gabe over at http://www.swiftnets.com/ designed for use on his heatsinks and pelt/HS combos.
                But they are specifically designed for the Heatsinks that he has made for his products.

DuRaNgO, has it "GOOD" with his MC1000 from Swiftec, plus he added a spacer

Paul

Comment

I'll tell you, the slot 1 is so much easier to cool, from both sides also
                  jim
                  System 1:
                  Epox 8K7A
                  SBLIVE 5.1
                  IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
                  3Com Hardware Modem
                  Teac 20/10/40 burner

Comment

I got my spacer a few days ago from 2CoolTek
                    http://www.2cooltek.com/index.html
                    since Gabe at Swiftec doesn't sell them anymore.

Makes quite a difference. The internal CPU diode temp is steady at 15 degC or 59 degF instead of the 19-20 degC or 66.2 to 68.0 degF with my 68W pelt and Hedgehog heatsink. This of course is with Arctic Silver paste which I've been using for quite awhile.

I'm still waiting for a 78W peltier and new gasket for my thicker silver coldplate from Swiftec. Greebe convinced me to get a pelt from Gabe since he only sells the Tellurex brand Peltiers which are the best.

In my current Peltier setup I'm only using the Arctic Silver on the cold side and on the processor. I was afraid it would dry out on the hot side that makes contact with the heatsink.

I found some more info on the Arctic Silver and it can hold up to temps slightly over 400 degF with out drying up. So, when I assemble the 78W pelt I'll use it on the hot side as well.
                    http://www.arcticsilver.com/]http://...ticsilver.com/

Paul

[This message has been edited by ALBPM (edited 06 October 2000).]

Comment

great toys for sure!
                      jim
                      System 1:
                      Epox 8K7A
                      SBLIVE 5.1
                      IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
                      3Com Hardware Modem
                      Teac 20/10/40 burner

Comment

Working...
                      X