Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Case Recommendations

I currently have a Addtronics 6890a: http://www.addtronics.com/6890a.htm

The case has a great exterior. Problem is that the internal layout isn't really good for airflow. (My 4 hd's heat it up quite a bit)

Here's the case recommendation I've found on the newsgroups:

California PC Full Tower http://www.calpc.com/html/full_tower.html

Aopen HX08 http://aoaen.aopen.com/products/housing/hx08.htm

PC Power & Cooling (Practically the same as the Cal PC, but more expensive) http://www.pcpowerandcooling.com/pro...ures/index.htm

So, anybody have any experience with these? Any other cases I should look at?

TIA

I really like my Antec KS-282 Mid Tower case. It came with a 300Watt and two additional spots for case fans. One in the front at the bottom which is an intake, one in the back just above the card slots for outtake, and of course the one on the power supply which also pulls air out. If that is not enough there are special fans unit out there designed with hard drive cooling mind. Just go to www.antec-inc.com and check it out.

Joel

[This message has been edited by Joel (edited 24 September 2000).]
    Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
    Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

I need 4 5.25" (dvd, cd, cd-rw, and coolermaster hard drive cooler with a cheetah in it) and 4 3.5" (3 hd + ls120).

I like that extra case fan on the rear. Looks like the case will get crowded with cables between the power supply and 5.25" bays.

I looked at the server enclosures, but I HATE front panels that don't expose the drives.

Comment

Then you need the Enlight 7237!

------------------
        Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC
        According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Already using that on my gaming rig
          It's shy one 3.5"

And no, can't give up a hd

For some reason I'm getting the idea that there isn't a perfect case out there... hmm... maybe I should go into business

[This message has been edited by isochar (edited 24 September 2000).]

Comment

there's always LEGO!!

------------------
            Cheers,
            Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Lego is always good

Comment

I gave them all away when I turned 12

Hmm... I like the idea though, build-a-case-from-scratch incorporated

Comment

Then go with the AOPEN it has 5x5.25 and 7x3.5, 300PS! I use one for my server!

------------------
                  Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC
                  According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

The HX08 is the one I'm leaning toward BUT I am awaiting a reply to my email to Aopen. I asked them for a diagram/picture of the inside of the case since they don't provide it online.

Comment

I use the Supermicro 750A :
                      http://www.supermicro.com/PRODUCT/Chassis/sc750.htm

Great case for cooling and storage. They sell additional 3.5 in racks to install at the top of the case right in front of the fan above the PS. That's where I put my hot SCSI drive. Fan mounts everywhere. Mounts huge MBs.

Great case. Addtronics sells a similar case also.

Comment

It's the Addtronics 7896 case.
                        http://www.addtronics.com/

Addtronics makes them for Supermicro and they are both Great cases.

Paul
                        "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

I'm more than happy with my Coolermaster ATC200, details here: http://www.coolermaster.com/products/atc/atc200.html

It was a bit of a squeeze to get my tyan 1836 in there but I feel it was worth it (the 2 x 3.5 externals helped me decide).

Isochar, I notice that you use a coolermaster drive cooler, and therefore use an external drive bay to get the intake. Although the ATC 200 only has 3 external 5.25 bays there are two fans at the front of the atc200 that push cool air across the hdds.

Barry

Comment

Tornado 1000 or Tornado 2000 from 3DCool.

Or you can get another Addtronics and modify it.

There are a ton of cases you can get. I use a modified Addtronics 6898A. I put a 5.25" bay cooler in the top bask 5.25" drive bay and cut out the back of the case. Have 3 intake fans, a slot cooler and on intake right over the CPU. Never have heat probelms

Jammrock

------------------
                            Athlon 650, Biostar board, 128 MB PC133 (Crucial), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, 10/100 NIC, lots of case fans, etc...
                            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Jammrock,

Looks like the guy who modified his 7896 seemed to have the same big complaint I have about my 6890...

"Here is my single complaint about this case. One small pass-through that every cable has to traverse. Its a cooling bottleneck, and a royal pain. At least its nice thick rolled steel, so you don't lose epidermis running your cables."

And he's just running a floppy ribbon, ide cable, and power cables through there...

I would run 3 scsi cables, 2 ide, and the power cables. It pretty much gets sealed.

Comment

Working...
                              X