Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which sound system?

Hi all,

I'm getting a new Sony 28" widescreen TV, which has Dolby ProLogic and comes with all the necessary speakers (KV-28WS2). I also have the Creative/Soundworks DesktopTheatre DTT2500. Is the digital 5.1 from the creative speakers better or worse than the pro logic output from the TV? I'm mainly watching DVDs.

Or should I combine the two at all? Any ideas/Comments?

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Since it apparently isn't obvious, put on Saving Private Ryan or something equally challenging and give a listen. MHO

Comment

I'm not familiar with the Creative DTT2500.

Dolby Digital is a major upgrade from Dolby Pro Logic. I have had an ol' Denon Dolby Pro Logic amp for the past 7 years, and it has done OK. A few months ago I got a new JVC receiver with DTS + Dolby Digital decoding, and it sounds soooooo much better. Very clear crisp sound coming from each speaker with DD, where the DPL was more muddied. Nearly all DVDs come with Dolby Digital soundtracks. (I do have one with an uncompressed PCM soundtrack...somebody just had to be different!)

I was using the same speakers with both systems, though. These speakers are good house rumbling movie enjoying speakers.

Comment

Go with the Creative setup. You could possibly wire the Sony speakers in if they turn out to be better, but even good TV speakers tend not to be of comparable sound quality to 'proper' audio speakers. I hear good things about the Creative set up, and I know how good Dolby Digital sounds. It would be a crime to reduce a good DVd soundtrack to Dolby surorund if you didn't have to.

Hmmm, I sound a bit like a rabid audio fiend 8-)

What are the DVDs being played on?

Uberlad

------------------
        -------------------------
        8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
        5 out of 10 referred to me by name.
        -------------------------
        8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
        5 out of 10 referred to me by name.

Comment

Yeah, that's what I was thinking - it just seems a little waste to not use the dolby prologic at all. I may end up using the sony speakers if they're better, and using the prologic for TV channels & VHS, but the 5.1 for DVDs.

The DVDs are being played on my PC (G450 & sblive w/ digital out)

------------------
          Cheers,
          Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

hehehee.

I once took my Dolby Digital decoder box from my Creative DTT1500's (the original 5.1 PC speaker setup) and hooked it up to my DVD player. Then I ran the center channel to the TV, the left and right fronts to my Denon stereo reciever (actually my Grandfather's that was purchase 15 years ago and still sounds good). 2 15" Cerwin Vega's pumped out the front noise.

I wired the rear channels to an old Sony reciever. I used very old Radio Shack speaker, that still had decent sound to them. Then I hooked up the regular subwoofer.

It was very make shift, but hey, Saving Private Ryan has never sounded better on my home theater. So if you have a couple of extra recievers lying around and don't mind a litle extra clutter...

Jammrock
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
            X