How hot is HOT for a K7 classic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How hot is HOT for a K7 classic?

For some reason, all the racket my three extra 80mm fans create started bugging me last night, so I unplugged them to see how hot things would get. Here are the results:

Ambient Temp: 25-26 C

Max temps with fans on:

CPU: 42C
    System: 27 C

Max temps with fans off:

CPU: 46 C
    System: 34 C

At no time was the CPU heat sink what I'd consider to be hot, meaning you could keep your finger on it more or less indefinitely.

On a somewhat related note, has anyone noticed their IBM 75GXP making a high pitched whine (like a jet engine)? Mine seems to be doing so at all times. I lined the case with some acoustic foam in areas not affecting airflow, and this has helped, but I still hear it. Maybe I'll have to get some Dynamat or something..

Thanks for the insight!

Superpower KS-198 full tower, 80mm intake fan lower front, two 80mm exhaust upper rear
    Tyan S2380 Trinity K7
    Athlon 650 @ 650 (it is a Tyan MB!), Thermaltake K7 Golden Orb
    Nanya PC133 128M
    Matrox G400 32M DH
    IBM Deskstar 75GXP 30G
    Kenwood 42X
    Yamaha DS-XG PCI
    Zoom 56k PCI
    Samsung Syncmaster 950P

Aaron

Try OCing 50%+ above baseline, while upping the voltage to 1.9Vcccore and see what hot truely is! If your considering OCing your Athlon 650, I'd say the first thing to do is ditch that GORB and get something like the GlobalWin VOS32 or Alpha to suit your cooling needs.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Not planning on doing any overclocking. If I were, I'd never have gotten a Tyan MB. Just trying to determine whether I need my extra three case fans. I'm experimenting, so far max CPU temp is 49C, which doesn't seem that hot. I don't think I have any truly CPU intensive programs though...

Aaron

Comment

So your not willing to OC because your MB doesn't allow adjusting the FSB? Hmmm, guess my MSI 6167 was wasted by running an Althon 500@850 then too, huh?! Not hardly! I still see very little difference between my benchmarks on a 100mHz FSB and those with the latest greatest MB's

What you don't have any 3D games that'll stress your system? (Rayman 2 doesn't count
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

aaroncgi:

You can overclock by changing the Multiplier form 6.5 to 7.0 or beyond regardless of which motherboard you have:
          100fsb X 6.5 = 650mhz
          100fsb X 7.0 = 700mhz
          100fsb X 7.5 = 750mhz

Don't know if you already knew that or not..

There are quite a few Athlon OC devices on the market that would allow you to change Multiplier. I believe Greebe was one of the first makers of such device!
          <hint>I think he still sell it, too</hint>

Comment

My 500@600 0.25 Athlon get's to somewhere around 60-63 degrees celcius depending on the room temperature.
            Not healthy but it runs stable, so I'm just hoping my luck doesn't run out

I have a normal Athlon cooler with a single fan (all those supercoolers are WAY to noisy)

Torben R
            G400 news, info, downloads and mailinglist : http://TRsDomain.homepage.dk

Comment

Greebe - Actually, one of the reasons I got my motherboard is because I had decided it wasn't worth it to overclock. I figured in the extra $30-60 for the Golden Finger device, then another $10-$20 for a bigger and better (and also louder) heatsink, and I come up with a system about the same price. I also factored in that the 'overclocking friendly' motherboards, such as the KA7 and K7V, were also $30-50 more expensive than the Tyan S2380. So altogether, we're talking $70-130 difference,which would have bought me an Athlon 800 to begin with.

I also wouldn't have been comfortable breaking apart the CPU case.

But anyhow, economics aside, I really have no need for a 850 Mhz processor right now. Bear in mind that I was coming from a Pentium 133 system with 64M EDO SIMMS, crappy Maxtor HD, and a 4M ATI Rage II+. For all it's somewhat slow program load times and sluggishness with more than a few applications open at once, it did everything I needed to. My primary complaint about the system was that I couldn't go into the store and buy a new game that would run.

Been running a couple days now without any of the extra fans on, so far max CPU temp is 49C. I don't think I'd be happy with a system any louder than mine was with all the extra fans going!

What amazes me sometimes, is the irony of computer sizes. Everything is {supposedly} getting smaller and smaller in terms of chip technology, and yet this computer is by far the largest I or anyone else I know, has ever owned. Ok sure, there is a TON of empty space in my full tower case, could probably go in a midtower case, but that still isn't tiny. This thing isn't any smaller than an IBM PC-AT/XT, in fact I think it's bigger! Just looks better sitting on the floor vertically rather than on the desk...

Sorry to ramble on! The main point is, in case you missed it, I'm not one of the small percentage of tweakers needing/wanting more speed from his/her system. I just like to plug everything together and have it work stably and that's it. As long as it runs the programs I want to run well, that's good enough for me!

Cheers!

Aaron

Comment

OK no problemO
                If you ever have a change of heart give me a holler and I'll be more than happy to help you "do it yourself"

Comment

Working...
                X