X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greebe and others,resistor questions.

I'm attempting to modify my Asus A7V motherboard,as shown here:

http://pc-nrj.hypermart.net/asus_a7v/

I was unable to find a 24k ohm resistor,but purchased a 22k pack and a 2.2k (both rated 1/4 watt)
    If I connect the two together will this combo give me the desired effect?
    I assume if I twist the 2 ends together in series the rating would be 24.2k,is this correct.
    Any ill effects?
    Thanks for any input

Yes, resistors in series are cumulative.
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Just make sure you've sanded the resistor tips clean, and solder them together. A bad connection can seriously up the resistance.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Ack!
        I just followed the link to that site. I really recommend that you NOT perform that alteration. The lowest voltage you'll get out of that socket is 1.97V, which is not such a good idea.
        Wait until Greebe gets here, and he'll probably tell you the same.

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

The highest voltage I will reccommend is 1.9Vcccore and with that being a min of 0.07 higher is just plain nucking futz. Yes series resistance is additive but I wouldn't reccommend doing this mod at all. Even I wouldn't do it.
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

The results with this modification have been good,Tom's Hardware goes into more detail with it and the voltage range via jumpers is 1.37v-2.32v.
            I didn't refer to Tom's site as this modification has been around for about 6 weeks.
            Tom in his usual manner gives no credit to the discoverers of this modification,and instead goes with, Eureka, I've discovered it.
            Hence I didn't refer to the article there.
            http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/00...susa7v-04.html
            The default vcore for the Tbird is 1.75v and the default for the Duron was 1.5v and has been bumped to 1.6v.
            With this info in mind,what's the feedback now?

Comment

No more than 1.9Vcccore.
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Ack (again). Didn't bother looking that far down before. Wire cutters and heat-shrink.

Alfie, I hope that you know that Tom doesn't know his stuff. Really, he doesn't. It wasn't obvious to me before "AGP is bad", but don't believe everything he says is a good idea.

Comment

One thing that can be said for Tom,is that he seems to let everyone do the work and as they work in the background,he bursts forward with the attitude it was his research and know how.
                  When I saw the way he had soldered the thing,
                  my first reaction was ,that's sloppy!Compare it to the guys in Japan,(original link),and how neatly they did it 2 wires, a little board with the resistor on it,it was these fellows that released this modification nearly 2 monthes ago.
                  Upon looking at the board,and not possesing a soldering iron small enough to do the job correctly,have decided against it!
                  The points to solder are so small and awkward to get to,couldn't advise it for anyone,unless they're very adept with a soldering iron,have the proper setup and tools,etc.
                  Thanks all for the feedback,though.

Comment

Working...
                  X