Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing IE favourites and history directory ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing IE favourites and history directory ?

Hi guys ..
    is it possible to change the directory of IE 5 favourites, temp internet files and history to another partition ? I want to do so coz i don't wanna loose'em every time i reinstall win98/98SE or win2k.
    besides is it possible to share these directories in win98/NT/2000 ??
    thanx
    GigaByte 6BXC, celeron300A@450, 128 Ram, G200 8M SD

Why don't you copy the directories manually to another partition before a reinstall, and then copy them back afterwards? And I really dont see why you want to keep the history and the IE cache. With a reinstall you probably want to fix some stability issues and deleting the cache and history is the first thing you should do if there is any unstability that might be related to IE.

------------------
    ------------
    ------

Comment

Favourites is easy enough, just use TweakUI to put it where you want (it can even be a folder shared between different OS's). History is harder, as it is often a 'per-user' folder and will have to be moved as part of a users profile.

Comment

Thanx for the reply guys .. Rik : i'll install TweakUI today and do it .. i remember i used it b4 to change some of the system directories. The History folder isn't really that important. The favourites and temp files are.
        Hunsow : i thought of that .. but wasn't sure if there r no other settings in the registery or some ini files.
        The IE cache is important to read sites offline (i have a 33.6 modem connection) besides i don't think that history or temp internet files has anything to do with stability ? a reinstall is good for programs missing with registry and multiple drivers and patches who doesn't get cleaned well ..every couple months .. besides i really need to share bet 3 windows.
        thanx again.

GigaByte 6BXC, celeron300A@450, 128 Ram, G200 8M SD

Comment

I forgot to say...the 'Temporary Internet Files' folder is a prime candidate for moving to a little-used partition, and can be shared between OS's as long as they have the same IE version installed.

The absolute best thing you can do with it is to make a small partition of about 30MB with a tiny (about 512byte) cluster size, and stick it on there. That way, all those tiny little cached internet files won't play havoc with fragmentation on your main partition and eat up huge amounts of slack space (even on a FAT32 partition).

Comment

Working...
          X