Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone able to get Kenwood service for CD drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone able to get Kenwood service for CD drive?

I've mentioned in the past a few problems I've had with my Kenwood 42X CD drive:

-Immediately upon bootup the drive will spin up and vibrate like crazy, very loud. This will continue until Windows has been up for a few minutes, unless you eject the disc.

-Most programs seems to work, but occassionally get problems where it will not recognize the disc in the drive. Diablo II cinematics will not work, for which there is a patch on Kenwood's web site, but the syntax they use is incorrect and can't seem to find out what the correct is (and I don't want to just go trying randomly).

I've sent an email to Kenwood tech support, left several messages on their voice mail, but haven't heard a peep. Has anyone been able to get through to these people? While the performance of the drive seems great when it works, I personally expect every program to work these days, and this weird vibration doesn't sound good at all. Fortunately my new case is about three times thicker than the last, so it's liveable, but still odd.

Should I just replace this thing with a new CD drive? This one is coming up on a year old I believe, but I really would like one to last several years at least!

Thanks!

Cheers,

Aaron

If I'm not mistaken that drive has been on a recall and a class action lawsuit. Well something like that.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Well, not to be picky, but it's actually the 40X drive that has the class action suit going.. bummer for me. Still, how much different can the 42X be? I've heard great things about the 72X, and the prices have dropped to a more reasonable level, but I am understandably hesitant to buy another Kenwood if I can't get service on the one I have now.

Aaron

Comment

Just get a cheap SCSI card and buy a Plextor 40x... it smokes any of the Kenwood's. (I have a 40x Ultrawide and a 72x true-x)

[This message has been edited by isochar (edited 01 October 2000).]

Comment

Working...
        X