CD-R burning problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CD-R burning problem

Ok, here's the dilly yo's. What I'm trying to accomplish is two-fold.

On the one hand, I'd like to find some disks that I can burn in my burner. On the other hand, I'd like to see if others have experienced similar problems.

So off we go into the depths of my problem....I've got a Sony CDU-948S/C SCSI burner. I initially burned only the Sony CD-R's, CDQ-74CN and CDQ-74BN disks. They all worked great. Then I switched to the 25 pack Imation spindle of 1x-8x disks in the red box. They worked great. Then I went for the 50 pack Imation spindle, 1x-8x with the same red label, and then the problems began.

When I would burn one of those disks (tried a few of them) the disk would look odd on the bottom. It would look almost like a record, with 'grooves' in the disk. My old NEC 16x couldn't read them to save it's life, however my newer Toshiba DVD could read them fine. Also for audio CD's, my old (9 yrs old) Pioneer player could handle them. So ditched that spindle and went back to the 25 packs (note, although they appear the same from the outside, they are different disks....). And I had this problem at 1x, 2x, and 4x.

Recently acquired a 50 spindle of Memorex 650 MB disks. Same problem. However burnt a Memorex disk that came from a 10 pack with jewel cases and it worked fine. Also had the problem with the Verbatim 50 pack in slim-line jewel cases (80 minute cd's).

Most of my disks (with the old Imations that I can't find anywhere) burnt great, and the bottom of the disk looked smooth as could be. However most of the new disks I try come out looking like they have 'grooves' and are unreadable on my older cd drive. While I can still read them on the newer ones, I continue to view this as a problem.

So, has anybody else experienced similar problems with their drives/media combinations, and what worked for you (what media, more specifically)?

Thanks,
    b
    Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

It sounds like you know what you're doing, but are you sure you have the software settings the same?
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I've used many different CDR's that while all would burn, not all (like a record's grooves) would play on my drives. I'm using Imation 12x 80min now on a 100 pack spindle and they work great on all my readers. I've seen better deals of course but then they don't have the fit and finish that these do for only $50.
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Different recordable CD drives will have their own preferences for what media works will for them. Also, a brand of media may be manufactured in different plants from lot to lot. You have to find the media that works best for you and make sure the manufacturer stays constant (check disk and jewel case labeling). There's been a lot written about this issue in the alt.comp.periphs.cdr NG. Check out the thread "Why do people say Memorex & Imation CDRs are unreliable?".
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Xor, I've been there and done that. With my experience this applies to every form of recordable media (having been in Pro audio does have it's advantages). I picked these up to test. They work very well and are of the highest quality. It is then and only then will I reccommend anything.
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Wow, thanks for the fast replies!

I've also noticed a couple other people having problems with this as well. While I seem to be able to burn the disks fine, they are visually different after being burned than what I would consider, well, 'normal'.

Nice (well, in a bad way I guess) to know others do have the problem.

The only reason I'm really having this problem now is because the disks I bought aren't sold anymore in the same packaging, and now I'm looking for new ones.

Funny, though, tried a very generic CompUSA disk sold in a basically unmarked 100 spindle for $40, worked like a champ. Not only does it work, but it's real cheap too. The best kind.

b
            Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

I use Memorex 8X in a 50 spindle for a Plextor 8x4x32 and no problems.

Comment

Pay a little more for Kodak CDs - they are the best I've used IMO. (Fujifilm are pretty good too)

------------------
                Cheers,
                Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Kodak and Fuji are the two best in my book too. Never had a bum cd in the bunches of them I have purchased. The Memorex in Jewel boxes always worked good for me (with a couple of exceptions).

Rags

Comment

I have used many different types of media and havent had a bad burn due to the media i used, all that did have problems were my own error's. Although thats not to say you can purchase a badly manufactured media!

Cheers

Comment

HP's CD-R's are good too but pricey.

Does anyone know a good source for the smaller 2 & 3" CD-R's?

------------------
                      Dean
                      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      PDP-11, Dec-writer & ZD-11 Terminal Unit, RSTS-OS
                      PDP-11, Dec-writer & ZD-11 Terminal Unit, RSTS-OS

Comment

Working...
                      X