Tyan Athlon *DDR* Motherboard Preview at Sharkey's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyan Athlon *DDR* Motherboard Preview at Sharkey's

The board itself seems to be a little soon out of the oven. For obvious reasons, they had to use PC1600 RAM (100 MHz x 2).

I suspect the stuff about how AGP 4X may or may not be affecting Quake3 scores is much ado about nothing. Not at 640x480 at least.

The board pictured doesn't seem to have the same specs as the board Tyan will ship. The reviewers were in no position to drawer any definitive conclusions, and they didn't. I found it kind of interesting anyway.

http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardwar.../tyan_760_ddr/

Paul
    pualcs@flashcom.net

I mean S-H-A-R-K-Y. Can't edit the subject line, unfortunately.

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Finally AMD opens its eyes and realizes they have to manufacture their own chipsets. Having VIA as the only upgrade choise was upsetting me for a long time

Comment

I couldnt agree more Nuno. Much as I've been wanting to upgrade to a thunderbird, there is no way I am going to get another VIA chipset motherboard, I'm having way to many troubles with my current one as is, I don't feel the need to do that again.

The reviewers were in no position to drawer any definitive conclusions, and they didn't.

I noticed that to Paul, thats one of the things that I really like about Sharky. When they have a beta product they are very clear that it is a "Preview" and they don't draw conlusion based on what they discovered. I also agree also that it was an intersting article. It hints at good things to come.
        Primary System:
        MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
        120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
        Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
        Seccondary System:
        Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
        3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
        Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
        Tertiary system
        Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
        Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

And there was much rejoicing!

Personally, I want to wait for the 266 MHz North Bridge before I upgrade. That way I can use the DDR2100.

Jammrock

------------------
          Athlon 650, Biostar board, 128 MB PC133 (Crucial), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, 10/100 NIC, lots of case fans, etc...
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I'd like to point out that Tyan boards are known for stability, so I think we can count on even speedier 760 implementations
            Alcohol and Drugs make life tolerable.

Comment

anyone know during what time period the ddr ram should be out? by Xmas? and what's ddr2100?

Comment

The 1600 stuff runs at 200 MHz (2 x 100 MHz) while the 2100 stuff runs at 266 MHz (2 x 133 MHz).

Paul
                paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Working...
                X