X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which 815 motherboard

Good morning people!
    Nice and simple question this one.
    Motherboard purchase, which one should the hard erned company coppers be spent on?

Abit SE6 or
    Asus CUSL2

Cheers peeps.

------------------
    D815EE, PIII 700E, 512MB PC100 RAM (Hyundai), 2x 30GB ATA-100 IBM HD, Matrox G400MAX, SB Live!, Adaptec 2940UW, Pioneer 32x/6x SCSI DVD-ROM, Yamaha 4416 SCSI CD-RW, Internal SCSI ZIP Drive, Iiyama VM Pro410, Windows 2000 Only
    It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
    Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

go for the MSI!

seriously, the Asus is much better, but I don't like the onboard USB controller and DMA/100 controller... I don't like onboard stuff at all!

The MSI is almost as good as the Asus, and lack these onboard stuff.. I would go for that one. The Abit SE6 is not much good according to many reviews. I thought Anandtech had a good i815 roundup. Go check it out!

Comment

This was easy! ASUS

------------------
      Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC
      According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

some people have been reporting problems with usb over on the asus newsgroup

Comment

Originally posted by ayoub_ibrahim:
          some people have been reporting problems with usb over on the asus newsgroup
          Look in a ABIT newsgroup and you will find people who have problems with the ABIT's USB!
          The ASUS is far more stabel then the ABIT! And don't think I'm anti ABIT, 3 out of 5 of my computers at home are using ABIT mobos! BX6-2, BE6-II & BX 133 RAID!

------------------
          Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC
          According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Thanks for the input.
            The Asus board has been ordered.
            It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
            Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

Excellent choice. I've had one since they were available and haven't regretted it since.

Comment

I have a MSI 815E Pro and im very happy with it!
                If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

dZeus

When you say onboard DMA100, do you mean as in HPT/CMD/Promise?
                  One of the features of ICH2, which is part of the i815E chip set, is DMA100 and a second USB root hub, no 3rd parties involved.

------------------
                  Join the MURC SETI team!
                  View the exciting stats
                  P5B Deluxe, C2D E6600, Scythe Ninja, G.Skill 2GBHX
                  Raptor 150x3, Plextor PX-760SA, X-Fi Elite, 7900GT, 21" CM813ET Plus, CM Stacker

Comment

hmm... I think I confused the CUBX with the CUSL2... the CUSL2 only has an extra USB HUB, which wouldn't cause too much trouble I guess....

Comment

Has anyone had a play with the AOpen AS3XPro Motherboard? From what i've read it doesn't look like a bad 815 board...

{Edit} Forgot to update my sig... {/Edit}
                      ------------------
                      Gigabyte GA686BX, 128MB PC100 Ram, Millenium G400 MAX, Creative Labs SBLive!, Netgear FA310TX, AOpen DVD-1040 Pro Drive, Imation LS120, 5.2 & 12.7GB Quantum HD's, Everything being driven by WinME

Bored Yet?

[This message has been edited by Delany (edited 27 September 2000).]
                      ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Motherboard, Intel Core i7 2600K CPU @ 4.3GHz, G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB DDR3 Ram, Pioneer DVR-219L DVDRW, OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD, Western Digital Black 1TB SATA HDD, Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB, Everything being driven by Windows 10 Professional (64Bit)...

Bored Yet?

Comment

I have had both the Asus and the SE6 and I think they are almost Dead even. THe Asus comes with the extra USB hub in which I can only get one of the three ports to work, The Abit has functioning onboard audio which the Asus does not. I think price is the factor for consideration. These boards perform the same. Every bench I did was a dead heat,and if you look at all the reviews, everyone kisses Asus Butt, by one or two frames. Thats a fact on the whole Hardware review site universe. The Asus was filled with bugs that no one reported. I have used both and I'll tell you there is no difference. Just the box and PCB color. I have the Asus in my box. Its fine. I payed way too much for both boards! Ouch!

[This message has been edited by LAMFDTK (edited 28 September 2000).]

Comment

I advise you to wait just a little longer,
                          Abit has just announced an new 815 board, the ABIT SA6R with ATA100 RAID onboard and softmenu III.

from OCWorkBench:
                          ABIT SA6R is a Solano based board (thus ATA-100 support on 2 channels). The board also features the HPT370 chipset thus providing you another 2 channels of ATA100 with RAID. Thus even if you do not need the RAID, you can possibly hook up to 8 HD using ATA100 interface. SoftMenuIII is also there and of course your 1Mhz stepping (subjected to changes).
                          Michel

[This message has been edited by Michel (edited 28 September 2000).]
                          PIII 1Ghz|AbitSa6R|512mb Kingston|Matrox Parhelia 512 Retail|80gb WD & 30gb IBM 75gxp|Diamond MX300 A3d 2.0|36xcdrom|6x32AopenDVD|Sony DRU500A|Intel Pro 10/100 S|IIyama Vision Master Pro 450 | Celly 300a@450 'server' powered by a G400MAX

Comment

Working...
                          X