Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CDROM drive's tray giving trouble.

Hi everyone
    I have a Creative Infra 48x CDROM drive whose tray has suddenly acquired a mind of its own. Whenever the tray is ejected, it either immediately goes back inside, or if it doesn’t, then the slightest touch will make it go inside. As a result, putting CDs on it is very difficult, in fact, I usually have to hold the tray with my hand while putting the CD on it, to prevent it from going back in.
    Now the thing is that this happened a few months back also. At that time, due to an unrelated incident of my comp refusing to boot up, I had to open the box to reseat the processor, which had come loose. But when the comp booted up, I found that the CD drive problem was also gone! The tray started behaving normally and would not go in on its own unless pushed hard, as it is supposed to be.
    But since the problem is back now, how do I correct it? The drive is otherwise working normally.
    Thanks in anticipation of your replies
    Ovi

Some more info
    The CDROM Drive is set as secondary master while the hard disk is primary master
    Waiting for your replies
    Ovi

Comment

I suppose you've tried opening your computer and removing and reseating the cpu?

Comment

Hi Brian
        I opened the computer and pushed the CPU down into it's slot,but it didn't help.But last time when that boot problem occured,I had removed and then reseated the processor.Are these the same or should I again remove and then reseat the processor?
        Thanks
        Ovi

Comment

I presume you've hit a cable when reseating the processor last time and fluked the CD-ROM fix. Try checking the CD IDE cable and the power cable to see if they are seated correctly. Also check the IDE cable's at the motherboard end and any other devices. Alternatively, change to a different cable completely.

Paul.
          Meet Jasmine.
          flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Ovi,
            I had an old drive that would do that. It maybe that there is dirt preventing the drive from opening fully, so it closes. Taking the case off of the CD-ROM drive isn't for everybody, but it might just need a cleaning. Then again, it might be drive-open switch that needs cleaning.

But if the drive is actually going, I don't know what to recommend. I doubt the processor itself is involved, but maybe the electronic connection in the drive is going screwy. In my particular case, I began using the paperclip method to use the emergency eject. This usually will not engage the tray's motor.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Pace:I reseated all the cables,incl the power one,but no effect
              Wombat: I am also now beginning to think that its a problem with the tray open switch,involving dirt,since the tray has become quite dirty.The drive recently crossed its warranty period,so I can't even return it or something
              Maybe the last time when I opened the comp,the drive got shaken in the process and got fixed or something?
              Another thing-does the drive's tray-open switch also act as a pressure-on-the-tray sensor? Because if the tray doesn't go in on its own,then a slight touch to the tray makes it go in!
              Any other suggestions?
              Thanks for your replies
              Ovi

[This message has been edited by Ovi (edited 23 September 2000).]

Comment

No, those are two different mechanisms. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, but I think either/both could be dirty.
                I'm leaning towards the pressure sensor right now.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Hi Wombat
                  I'm also now quite sure about the pressure sensor now
                  But there's a funny thing about that too.When the drive last went screwy,touching and slightly pushing the tray from the right side used to send it in,but now that doesn't happen at all-now slightly pushing the tray from the underside sends it in!! If its the pressure switch,then this behaviour shouldn't be there!! Oh well
                  Thanks
                  Cheers
                  Ovi

Comment

at least your tray opens. My Technics cd deck wont open unless I hit eject and jiggle the draw left to right
                    abit kt7-raid athlon 1ghz quantum 20.4gb - 7200 + wd 200bb - 7200 rpm UDMA100-
                    g400 max-
                    256MB pc133 sdram - sblive value 3.0 - 4 Boston Acoustics A40's - 3com 3c905b-tx - cable access - winME
                    dx7.?- V3 steering wheel/pedals - MS sidewinder PRO
                    Kensiko (Netpointe) scrolling mouse

Comment

I wish I had a slot loading CD-Drive-no tray,no problems!!!!
                      Cheers
                      Ovi

Comment

I have an old Sony 8X that only ejects under an OS command
                        [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                        Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                        Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                        Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                        Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Working...
                        X