my cpu has become power hungry!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my cpu has become power hungry!!

the strangest things keep happening to me, today before I went to work I was hoping to let my PC defrag my hard disks, so to be sure I wouldn't get a bsod when I got home, I put my thrusty old P3-450 (who is normaly running @ 548 (124Mhz bus, 2,05 Vcore)) back to it's default speed (100Mhz, 2,00 Vcore) and while booting Winme I get an error message, hmm strange I thought, booted back in safe mode, and I get one bsod after another (mixed with some General Protection faults), tried a few times, no luck at all. Tried booting at 112Mhz bus, 2,10 Vcore and no problemo...... hmmm has my cpu become power hungry?? or what?? I for sure can't figure this one out, anyone got any ideas why this happens? I know you guys can figure this one out

Also another strange thing is happening, my Vcore keeps bouncing between 2,14 and 2,16 according to Winbond Hardware Doctor, altough it's only set to 2.1v is this normal?? To my knowledge a few months ago it wasn't doing this. A few weeks ago I flashed my bios while the vcore was 2.05 so that the next time it would read 2.00 in the bios but it would actualy be 2.05 (you know the Abit Bios flash trick) I flashed it again at 1.95 so that it would be back to normal setting (I guess this is the way to do it)

oh one last question, If I reset my bios, with the jumper on my MB, do these voltage setting also return to default?

system specs

P3-450
    Abit BE6-2
    196MB ram (128+64) 133Mhz
    Creative Gefore 2
    20GB Maxtor HD 7200rpm
    20GB IBM HD 7200rpm
    Creative SB Live
    Aopen DVD
    D-Link 100Mbit network card

What's this Geforce guy doing here you might wonder hehe I still got my G400 in my 2nd system with a Cel600 the GF is just to fill my quakin' needs until I get a G800 or whatever Matrox nextgen will be called

Moleman
    -=And May The Schwartz Be With Ya=-

Strange about your Cpu someone else had a similar problem but there computer crashing all the time anyway which suggested there cpu had gone to the great cpu bin in the sky.
    As for winbond I always wonder how accurate the measuring devices are on motherboards. Expect a little varition unless you've got a very clean mains and have a top notch power supply.
    If you reset your Bios yep your Bios voltages should go back to default. If the machine stable at 548 why not defrag it at that speed.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Well I sure hope that my CPU isn't going to the great cpu bin in the sky I still had so many plans for it, Just ordered some Artic Silver compound and a Globalwin Cooler.
      Altough it's getting a little old by now, and that Amd system I've been dreaming about will replace it one of these days. The P3-450 should make a great companion for my G400 (if I get it @600 Mhz) because that Celeron2 isn't really what I had hoped for (damn you Intel )

As for the winbond monitoring... I'm pretty sure my powersuply is good, it's an Aopen 235w wich came with my Aopen case, It's my 3rd one so far and I've never had probs with it so I don't think I can blame it for the irregular voltage. It all started after I tried that Celeron 600 with the Abit Slotket, I was trying to get it to 900Mhz @ 1,9 - 2,0 Vcore maybe I pushed it a little with standard heatsink & fan (a globalwin is on it's way) the strange thing that the winbond hardware doctor always reported wrong Vcore numbers when using the Celly, maybe it was because of the slotket I don't know, but when I replaced the generic slotket with an Abit Slotket!!! and adjusted the voltage on the sloket itself all was back to normal in the monitoring utility.
      Like I said the strangest things keep happening to me

"The PIT" what do you mean with
      Expect a little varition unless you've got a very clean mains
      my English isn't that good and I don't really know what you mean with clean mains.

Moleman

[This message has been edited by Moleman (edited 27 September 2000).]
      -=And May The Schwartz Be With Ya=-

Comment

Might also be your mb is going to the dogs also. If the computer gets more flakey, I would consider it a possibility. I've had some trouble with ABIT boards under similar circumstances.

Comment

I mean where you plug your computer in.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
          X