Drives reported as Generic Type 47

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drives reported as Generic Type 47

Hi, my 2 disk drives under Win98 SE have recently been showing as 'Generic Type 47' under device manager in Win98SE.
    They used to report correctly (31GB Seagate Barracuda and 22GB IBM Deskstar).
    I only looked coz I thought my drives seemed a bit sluggish.

I checked the IDE driver but it's not in software add/remove list and I don't know what files or registry entries to look for (IDE 1.22RC). I downloaded 1.24 from MSI site (MSI 6167 MB) and it won't let me install as it says I alread have driver installed.

Anyone know what's gone wrong and how I can install this latest driver. Have I lost UDMA66 support or is the Windows generic driver ok.

Probably all sounds like gibberish but I don't know what I'm talking about so go easy on me.

Regards...

Generic type 46 and 47 are the user definable types of ide drives in your bios. It's probably what your bios is reporting to windows. Nothing to worry about..

Grtz,
    Ed

Comment

Download hdtach from tcdlabs.com and use it to test your drives. It can help to determine if your drives are running at 66 or not
      [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
      Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
      Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
      Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
      Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Access times are always a bit optimistic. What model is your IBM drive?
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Those acces times are fine (way faster than my UATA66 Seagate) what's the burst speed reported. If it is over 33 MBps then UATA66 is working. My Seagate bursts to 42 MBps but averages 21 MBps (21000 kBps)
          [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
          Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
          Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
          Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
          Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

My Maxtor 10 gig 7200 UDMA/66 drive hits 56.9 on the burst test, and averages 19290. But the seek test is only 13 ms, CPU utilization is at 3.9%. This is with my CUBX on the CMD controller, Celeron 533A@600, 75 MHz FSB.

The old WD 4 gig that's being used as a backup on the "normal" Intel controller bursts up to 27.9, and averages an blazing 7144! Seek time is 17.7 and CPU usage is 1.2%.

Comment

Hey guys - that program does the seek time test, and the burst test, but the average throughput test crashes my PC with a fatal exception.... any ideas?

------------------
              Cheers,
              Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Say elmes, make sure you don't have S.M.A.R.T. enabled on your IBM drive.
                <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

xortam, rings a bell, how do I disable?????

PS burst rate:
                  48.4 kbps on the Barracuda and
                  56.6 kbps on the IBM? (Deskstar 25GXP I think)

Also, why the Windows generic driver 47 though? both used to report correctly in Windows.

Comment

I think Windows reporting a generic drive is because it's lost some info that it would read from the BIOS, but doesn't know how anymore

S.M.A.R.T. is disabled in the BIOS of the mobo.

When you're in the BIOS, check if your drives are shown right there. Otherwise do a re-autodetect for the drives.

Jord.
                    Jordâ„¢

Comment

I believe it's down to the IDE driver to ask the drive what it is and tell windows. Check that you're using the latest ide drivers for windows - if it's intel, get them off their site - don't use window's

------------------
                      Cheers,
                      Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

SteveC yes it's what I said in my first post.
                        The AMD IDE 1.22RC driver doesn't appear anywhere anymore but for some crap reason I'm not allowed to install the latest one I downloaded from AMD (1.24). It says driver is already installed... There must be someothing rogue left over in the registry but I've searched and can't find AMD or IDE in the registry.
                        Does anyone know what I can remove to get rid of 1.22RC so that I can install 1.24.
                        Please don't say re-install windows as I hate it enough already.
                        Ta...

Comment

Phew, I found out what to do...

I removed \windows\system\iosubsystem\amdeide.mpd and then I was able to install the new driver.
                          Now my drives are reporting correctly and now my
                          Barracuda reports 8.1ms and 58mbps burst rate.
                          IBM reports 9.2ms and 55.7mbps.
                          So there is some diff with the generic win drivers.
                          Thanks everyone...

Comment

HDTach doesn't work right if you're got auto-notification on. Try turning it off and run it again.

Comment

ok, I ran that utility as suggested...

It shows my Barracuda at 8.9ms access and throughput of 26600 kbps and 9.5% CPU util' (athlon 650). Does this right (it's supposed to be 8.2ms)?
                              My IBM drive is disappointing at 11ms access and 15500 kbps and 5.5% CPU util' (it's supposed to be 9ms).
                              Both drives are 7200RPM.

It's happended since I upgraded my BIOS to latest Award BIOS. I know I shoudln't have bothered! I'm sure performance has changed since I did it. I checked the BIOS settings and they're all on Auto basically.

Comment

Working...
                              X