whats the quick way for connecting Internet explorer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats the quick way for connecting Internet explorer

I expect it depends on how exactly the ISP set up the connection, but assuming they didn't do anything too strange

Right click the IE icon on your desktop, and select properties. Now go to the connections tab, remove all the ISP's dial-up entries and then hit the LAN settings button. Enter any proxy servers on your uni LAN there (may or may not be present, your uni should be able to supply you with this info).

This won't remove any customisations the ISP made to IE (changed logos etc), but it should work just the same.

Are you on a LAN connection to the uni? If so, I assume that the uni already gave you an IP addr, subnet mask, gateway and DNS servers to use on their network, otherwise you need them too.

If your on dial-up, you'll need to create a new Dial up networking connection, let us know what OS your using if you need help with that, cos it varies a bit.

------------------
    P3-700E@933, Abit BF6, G400 MAX, 8.6 gig Seagate, 8.6 gig WD, SBLive 1024, 256Mb PC133... Logitech Optical Wheel Mouse, Keyb, Stuff

Just a quickie, but why did you install a 3rd-party modified version of IE? The OS comes with one (NT4 even comes with IE2) which can be used to download the newest version.

- Gurm

------------------
    Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

The solution is NOT to install the software in the first place and setup your Ip info manually. If you need more info, let me know.

Dave
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Now then lads I said when people i.e they come to us to have the university remote area access setup. All my accounts are setup manually by the way.
        They've (The Students) probably gone to some shop locally and picked the darn thing up from behind the counter, installed IE thinking this ISP software will connect them to our services which it won't. Thats if the supplied phone number works which most cases doesn't. Most of these CD's are automated so they insist in installing the 3rd party IE thats why the students have installed it. I haven't come across one that has an uninstall routine yet.
        Thanks for answer Raptor when the next one comes in I'll try your solution. If it doesn't work I'll get the internet connection wizard from Microshaft and try that.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

whats the quick way for connecting Internet explorer

When poeple get the software from the isp (Or borrow it fronm a friend) it often insists on connecting and creating an account on that isp. However they don't want to use this Isp and they want to use university connection. Apart loading netscape and downloading the internet connection wizard from microsoft whats the other solution?
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
          X