Where is a good modem speed test?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is a good modem speed test?

There was a good one posted here a year or so ago. Does anyone still have it bookmarked?

RAB
    AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Here's one:
    http://webservices.cnet.com/bandwidth/

Comment

Here's one I have used for a couple of years. It worked with my 33.6 both 56ks and my @home cable connnection http://www.computingcentral.com/topi.../speedtest.asp

------------------
      AsusP2B ,iCeleron525(7x75), 128megs PC100, G40032megSH, Diamond MX300, 2 small HD's, 42X Sony CDrom and 98SE w/shutdown patch, PD 5.52015, 1 grey cat, 1 black cat and 1 calico

AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

The best way to detirmine UL/DL speeds is by transfering a file of appropriate size to a local ftp. These so called bandwidth speed tests are flawed by neglicting how much activity is being reduced by others on the internet/ISP and by factors such as high pings, latency, packet loss (etc).

I'd suggest you DL DU Meter and give my suggestion a try. It's the only way to get an honest representation of how well your modem/connection is doing.
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Greebe is right, the best way is to upload/download to a FTP and monitor with something like DU Meter.

However, the speed test at www.dslreports.com is useful as well.
          http://www.dslreports.com/stest

Comment

I use LeechFTP (which reports throughput) and download a big file from a known FAST_AS_HELL server such as ftp2.sierra.com and find that gives me a really clear idea.

- Gurm

------------------
            Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            If only life were as easy as you
            I would still get screwed

Comment

Thanks guys,
              I have two reasons that I need the test. First, I just upgraded the firmware on my modem and wanted to see if it helped any. Just subjectively, it doesn't seem to do any better. I'm about ten miles from a C.O., so my best connections are only 26,400 or with TCP/IP overhead it usually works out to less than 2.4 KBps. I don't have cable, but the cable company out here in the backwoods doesn't offer broadband anyway.

Second, DSL is coming to town soon and I thought that the mini C.O. BellSouth would need for it would also improve my regular modem speed. That would tell me when they are ready to sign up new customer and I could start shopping for a new ISP then.

RAB
              AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

Working...
              X