general question on general protection fault

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• general question on general protection fault

I am starting to get occasional general protection fault messages as follows:
    Explorer caused a GPF in module KRNL386 exe.
    at 0001:00007e4f.
    It seems to happen randomly but particularly when exiting a program or changing video settings.I can usually control/alt/delete
    and restart ok. I haven't added any new programs or made any changes that I can think of that might be the cause.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.

windows98se(installed about 6 months ago)
    p3 700@903
    sound blaster live
    abit be62
    g400 max(on irq9-by itself)
    etc.

700 to 903 is a big jump. Have you tried lowering the CPU speed? Its never good to troubleshoot on an overclocked machine!
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

At what voltage are you runing? Try bumping it up to 1.7-1.75v! What heatsink are you using? It can also bee because of your RAM are you using PC100 or PC133 CAS2 or CAS3?

------------------
      Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC
      According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Thanks for the responses.
        I'm using cas2 133 ram,the v.is at 1.9
        and am using an alpha. Under load I never get over 40c. so I don't think temp. is a problem.
        The system has been stable at this configuration for some time.
        Is the gfp message indicative of anything in particular?

Comment

Since the error messages just started? So have you installed any new software or hardware.
          If so remove them and see what happens.
          Also try clocking back and see what happens. Also slow down the memory timings.
          I once ran a machine for six months before it suddenly decided that I was pushing it to hard. The only thing that had happened was that the room had got slightly warmer due to it being summer. Knocking back a few Hz solved the problem.
          Of course it could just be windoze saying it's time for a complete restore.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

You could check your IRQs and see if you are sharing or even have a confilct with your G400.

My G400 was sharing with my modem and i used to get a GPF, but only when i tried to change the modem settings...
            The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

No, no new programs, no irq conflicts.
              The PIT..I think you're right.Windoze is getting tired. Hopefully it will hang on for a while until I do some planned upgrading.In
              the meantime I'll try clocking down a little.
              Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X