Finally!! Got my MCSE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally!! Got my MCSE

I took the sixth exam on Saturday and got my confirmation e-mail from Microsoft this morning.

Overall, I think I did pretty well. On the six exams, I got 3 A's, 2 B's and 1 I'm not sure, but I think its an A. My Enterprise exam was adaptive (which means you get rewarded with harder questions as you correctly answer easier ones and you can't review your answers once you move to the next question). I scored 120% of passing but still only 674 on Microsoft's wierd scoring system for adaptives.

The hardest exam was Internet Information Server. It had 6 questions out of 55 on integration with SQL Server and I admit, I have never used SQL before. The error messages the test asked to decipher were not covered in any of the three textbooks I used. Oh well, I'll settle for a B on that test. If any of you are thinking about taking IIS as an elective, you might want to consider something a little easier, like Proxy Server.

I also got my A+ certification just to show prospective employers that I also know my way around inside a computer. One employer I talked too said that new MCSE's are often short on knowledge about how to fix everyday computer problems, so I thought the A+ thing might at least show I can fix computers as well as network them.

Now comes the hard part - getting a job with the new certifications. I hope this isn't too difficult. The tests overall were not easy. But finding a good job might be harder than they were.

RAB
    MCSE, A+
    AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Good job!

Now go make your millions
    jim
    System 1:
    AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
    Epox 8K7A
    2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
    an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
    SBLIVE 5.1
    Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
    IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
    Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
    3Com Hardware Modem
    Teac 20/10/40 burner
    Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

Congratulations!!!!!! are the drinks on you?

Comment

Congrats!!! Next time I'm down that way I'll buy you a drink for a job well done.
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Hell RAB, if you move to the valley, they'll pick you up in a limo to get you to interview. Buying/renting housing is another matter all together.
          <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Congrats RAB

I'll be following you within the next 6.5 months. That's a promise

Let's start our own company

Jord.
            Jordâ„¢

Comment

Congratulations RAB!

I assume the A+ was pretty easy? I'm thinking about taking the A+ exam.

Comment

Congratulations!

I hear the chicks love it.

Paul
                paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Thanks guys,

Jim: Millions? I'll be happy with thousands. I have no illusion that this is the path to easy street. I was probably making more at my last job than I will starting out in IT. But the old job just didn't keep me interested anymore.

Jorden: To upgrade to Win2k MCSE like you will be getting, I'll still have to take four more exams. Study hard, the NT track now looks like freshman IT and Win2k looks like sophmore level. I doubt I will finish Win2k by the time you do, but I'll try. Hmmm, a Trans-Atlantic company sounds interesting.

Liquid Snake: The A+ is not too difficult. The exam will be changed in December to emphasize Win98 and Win2k, so take it before then. See www.comptia.com for details. However, don't try to take it without studying at least one good exam prep book. There is enough DOS and system file stuff in there that you won't pass without at least some review and study.

paulcs: "Chicks dig it?" I might as well tatoo "GEEK" on my forehead. Besides I'm married.

Thanks again guys ,

RAB
                  AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

For any becoming MCSE people out there: If you have the chance, take the Networking Essentials Plus exam, instead of the Networking Essentials (normal). The last one is going out, and maybe your boss will ask you to redo an exam you essentially already have. If you don't mind re-studying about those things for a couple of weeks and doing the extra exam, don't read this

Networking Essentials will go out, like NT4 MCSE will go out, by January 1st 2001. Therefor you'd better do your Plus exam, as it's essentially the same (as far as I understand). Just with a new name

Jord.
                    Jordâ„¢

Comment

Get ready for a rewarding career at 40k I want to be a plumber these days, I am sick of users, Networks, upgrades, Laptops I hate Laptops aaaahhhhhhhhh and tests, Geeks, coffee, server closets, people who can't print, ("I printed yesterday...") Compaq shops, Scummy stinking earwax covered mice, Keyboards that are filthy, stale office air, Ugly UGLY UgLy People inside and out. Coffee and spoiled milk, ID badges, Drug tests, Co-workers who never heard of TW'er (bastards) Dusty work areas , Spare shoes under cubes by network jacks, People who still think that Dilbert is the funniest, Users who talk about TV shows.....AAAAAHAAHAHAHA

Oh Congrats! I am impressed RAB !

Comment

Proud of ya Geek!

Make lotsa money and keep 'em guessing about how you do it.
                        Greebe's juiced up Athlon @750 on an MSI Irongate Based M/B Marvel G200 TV with HW/DVD Daughtercard,
                        CDBurner, Creative DVD, two big WD Hdds, Outboard 56K modem
                        Parallel Port Scanner, Creative S/B AWE 64 (ISA), and a new Logitech WebCam (My first USB device)

Comment

Hmm, I remember the DOS days I still know many of the commands. I guess I have to take it soon, because I never used Win2K

Comment

For MCSE (2000) there is no Networking Essentials ( Plus or otherwise), so don't waist your time and money on it. Unless you will have your MCSE (NT) before the new year.

Figured I'd get my A+ between the Core and Electives, sorry to hear all that arcane DOS knowledge won't do me any good when/if I take it .

Oh well that was enough of a break, now back to 70-210.

Mark F.

------------------
                            OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
                            and burped out a movie
                            Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
                            --------------------------------------------------
                            OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
                            and burped out a movie

Comment

Originally posted by Mark F:
                              For MCSE (2000) there is no Networking Essentials ( Plus or otherwise), so don't waist your time and money on it. Unless you will have your MCSE (NT) before the new year.
                              Hope it's not wasted on your waist, Mark

But then again: For MCSE Win2k there's no Networking Essentials Plus (or otherwise), as you said. But to get a good understanding of how Networks work, it's a good idea to do the exam, if you can. NE-Plus will be available after 1-1-'01. It's kinda samish as ITIL: Not needed for MCSE, but if you have it, you're better of than someone who doesn't have it, as it's asked alot these days !!

Jord.
                              Jordâ„¢

Comment

Working...
                              X