Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell 21" Monitor vs. 85Hz Refresh

Hey guys,

I have a Dell 21" (2128 TCO) Monitor which is around 4 years old now and works absolutely perfectly (all reses up to 2015x1536 if I want 60Hz..) apart from one thing... If I put it at 85Hz (The recommended refresh for most modes according to the dell drivers), the picture flickers horizontally... A straight horizaontal line will jitter around up and down a little. It's really annoying and has only started in the last few months... Is my screen giving up, or shall I just ignore it and put it at 90Hz?

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Just try to change it 1Hz at at time!

------------------
    Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

At 21" you're gonna need at least 90hz. 85hz is ok for sometimes, but at random points it's gets very flickery.

You just need to up the refresh rate. Don't go outta spec of the monitor tho'.

Rob~

------------------
      Dual PIII 500@560--386MB PC-100's--20GB Seagate UW
      22GB Seagate UW--G-400 DH @153-203--Vortex2500--Princeton C2100

1.73TBredB@1.67(166X10)@1.6V
      ASUS A7N8X
      Corsair 1GB PC3200
      Parhelia 128MB
      EIZO L685EX

Comment

If you don't see the flicker, try running it at 75 Hz. I run all my monitors (21") at 75 and don't see any flicker. Everyone has their own sensitivity to this.

Comment

And as to how much, different monitors will display it.

My 21" runs @ 75hz and displays very low flicker.
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I expect it's a function of the phosphor's recovery rate (I forget the technical term) and the environmental lighting.

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 25 September 2000).]

Comment

That would be Persistence.
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Ah no - I see 75Hz flicker (is that like 'I see dead people' ) - I'm pretty sensitive to poor screens.

The screen's a pretty old model and 'shouldn't' do what I run it at, but it doesn't seem to complain (apart from this 85Hz oddity)

Cheers guys!

------------------
                Cheers,
                Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Working...
                X