Diablo II and Kenwood TrueX CD drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diablo II and Kenwood TrueX CD drive

Hey all! Had a great time my first time around at Diablo II, but was really bummed out because I could neither install nor even watch the Cinematics between acts or anywhere else. I later discovered that Kenwood's tech support area recommends upgrading the firmware on their CD drives for this specific game, weird! I have the 42X version. Anyhow..

I downloaded their firmware upgrade, and typed in their instructions just as written, but the syntax they use doesn't work! ARGH!

The command they give is:

C_BURN V V501_401 [ENTER]

Typing this results in 'Too Many Arguments'.

Has anyone else upgraded the firmware on their Kenwood TrueX drive? I have email Kenwood tech support, and called them, they have yet to be available via phone, and will not return my messages.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Aaron

Don't type enter, hit enter

Rags

Comment

Comment

Very funny, Rags. Somehow I don't think the method of pressing enter is the problem.

Seriously, maybe someone can suggest what I am doing wrong. All of the past three CD-ROM drives I've used have had similar problems. I just figured they went bad prematurely, but I am really starting to wonder. I thought MTBF on most CD-ROM drives was at least 40,000 hours, I haven't even scratched the surface of that on any of my drives. The problems have persisted through two cases, two motherboards, essentially two separate systems. Scratch that, I mean three systems.

Do CD-ROMs just not like me or something? I can't find any commonalities between the systems except myself. The first two drives were cheap (Goldstar and Affrey or similar), but I hadn't expected a Kenwood to go bad. And even the cheapo drives I would expect too see more than a years worth of reliable use.

Sorry to ramble on, just getting tired of having to continuously fix/upgrade the darn CD! I have a Kenwood home CD player that I've had for 12 years for crying out loud, had never given me a single problem! I know I can't expect that longevity, but the CD-ROM should at least last until the CPU or video card is outdated...

Aaron

Comment

I believe that the Kenwood drive has to be the master in the secondary ide channel for the firmware upgrade to work.

(That's how it is on my 72x)

Comment

I remember lots of people reporting problems with the 42X TrueX CDROMs. Use the Search function here for possible more info.

I have the 52X TrueX. No major problems with it yet -- about 1 year old now. I have an old Toshiba 4X CD ROM in my other system -- been running like a champ for about 8 years now.

However, I do sometimes suspect a driver/firmware problem with my Kenwood, so I think I'll visit that site and look into the firmware update. I haven't played Diablo, but have had problems in HalfLife with "CD Music" enabled.
            My rig: P4 3.0GHz; Asus P4C800E; 1GB DDR 3200; AIW Radeon 9800 Pro; WD 120GB SATA; Plextor DVD burner; Liteon DVD reader; Audigy 2ZS; Logitech Z560 4.1; NEC FE991SB

Kid's rig: AMD XP 1600+; 512MB ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 60GB; Plextor CD burner; Sony DVD reader; SB Live; Cambridge 4.1 speakers; NEC FE991SB

Other kid's rig: Athlon 2700+; ASUS A7N8X mobo; 512MB PC3200 ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 80GB; SB Live; Cambridge 2.1; NEC FE991SB; Liteon DVD-ROM

Comment

I just found this at the Kenwood site. It may be of interest to you since you have the 40X version...
              http://www.kenwoodtech.com/40xcdroms...ent/index.html

My rig: P4 3.0GHz; Asus P4C800E; 1GB DDR 3200; AIW Radeon 9800 Pro; WD 120GB SATA; Plextor DVD burner; Liteon DVD reader; Audigy 2ZS; Logitech Z560 4.1; NEC FE991SB

Kid's rig: AMD XP 1600+; 512MB ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 60GB; Plextor CD burner; Sony DVD reader; SB Live; Cambridge 4.1 speakers; NEC FE991SB

Other kid's rig: Athlon 2700+; ASUS A7N8X mobo; 512MB PC3200 ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 80GB; SB Live; Cambridge 2.1; NEC FE991SB; Liteon DVD-ROM

Comment

Isochar - My CD drive has always been the secondary master, by itself.

Beezer - I've read that 40x settlement, but as I have the 42x, don't think it can apply to me. I'd be happy though, if I could trade my drive in for even a little bit of what I paid (only paid $50) in exchange for a new 72X. Unfortunately, Kenwood isn't making such a proposition easy, what with not returning my calls or emails.

Aaron

Comment

Working...
                X