Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X:drive, your networked drive on the internet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X:drive, your networked drive on the internet.

I've just made an account ready at X:drive on the internet (http://www.xdrive.com/promo/Win95), registered there and have a 50Mb minimum harddrive running from there at this moment. Pretty speedy even though I use a V90 modem.

Maybe you want to use it as well, as it integrates into Windows perfectly (both Win9x/ME and Win2k). And you can get as much as 100Mb there (maybe more in the future).

Just test it. It even works from within Netscape

Jord.
    Jordâ„¢

thanks for the info Jorden,I'll have to try it.

Comment

What d/l rates are you getting on you V90?
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Pretty good, Pat. I just uploaded 4.8Mb of data within 5 minutes.

Also tried to install a little game towards it, but that didn't work because Explorer crashed in the background. Will try again, since I unchecked the "Start Explorer after logging on"

Jord.
        Jordâ„¢

Comment

4.8Mb in 5 minutes is not possible over a serial port! let alone a v.90 modem (which uploads at 31.2kbps anyhow)!

Edit: Reasoning: 4.8mb over 5 minutes = (4.8x1024) / (5x60) = 16.384 kb/sec

------------------
          Cheers,
          Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

[This message has been edited by SteveC (edited 22 September 2000).]

Comment

it's more like 1152 (taking into account for error correction ie 9 bits) instead of 1024.

so 4.8*1152/300=18,434kbps=I don't think so.

or Jord's running a quasy V.92 modem
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

It could be possible if it´s transfering data highly compressible and using the modem compression protocol.

Comment

Not to really fuss about it but, his results would be inaccurate to begin with.
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

Ah excuse me... I first discontinued uploading the 4.8Mb only, then uploaded whole of the Arcade Classics folder from the DVD (total 12Mb), but the time went to 5 minutes, then the box saying I was uploading left me... I was still uploading, but I didn't see it, as it pre-staged the uploading (pretty cool though). Finally it took me about 45 minutes in total. Do know I have my modem set for 115.2k upload, and as long as you let your PC sit idle and only have that upload going, you have scary speeds

Btw Greebe, my modem is V.92 capable. Best thing is: Everyone's modem, from 56kFlex and X2 onwards is V.92 capable. All it needs is new firmware for your modem... So now you have your cable modem (which might work right half the time), there's no need to slag us off all of a sudden
                  Remember your funny posts about WinME?? Since you haven't tried WinME yet, you can't give a good answer there... Since I haven't tried cable-modem, or MxStream (Dutch people shut up, it's a test ), I won't even near myself to those questions and try to answer them

Greebe, you start to sound like me... about 4 months back... When I was bored... And before I broke my link with all the BBs...

Pity

Jord.

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 22 September 2000).]
                  Jordâ„¢

Comment

Careful there Jord. I have tried WinMe, just don't have it on my system anymore.

Just because your modem set to 115k doesn't mean squat and every person around these parts knows it!

Cable modem mocking are we? Try this then, 106 meg zip file upped to SteveC's ftp server at a rate less than I normally see and it was done in 35 minutes. So bite me! If you want to compare DL rate you better go back to hiding in the corner.

I tend to not comment on what I'm clueless of, try it sometime. I was at least correct in my possible assumption that you could possibly do V.92 speeds!
                    Patrick was asking / wondering just how well a V.90 would do ie accurate results would have been proper and not misleading by leaving out pertinent info you have so graciously have done in the now and in the past.

Comment

Jord, I believe you're reffering to the DCE (serial port to computer) speed. Setting it to 115,200 does not mean you can get 115kilobits of bandwidth.

Greebe, what speeds did you get? I have a 1mbps SDSL connection, I can send and receive at around 120K/sec. DL speeds don't compare to cable, but I'd like to see some cable upload speeds.

Comment

That was at 59kBps avg, but like I've said it wasn't as fast as I'm accustomed to. To be honest it's been so fast that I have really cared to fully test it's upload bandwidth. I'll do a few tests later and post my results tho.

DL rate so far is upto 3200kbps sustained.

Comment

And while I'm at it Jord, the email for the entire state has been a mess up til a few days ago as this was just setup here. I had 3 day of problems with a buggered gateway. that's it. Bandwidth is killer up and down. Email now works and as far as their support goes, I do have my good contacts high up in the company. Besides, when they claim trouble free proformance you bet your sweet bippy I'll yell. Besides by doing it has already saved me some $150 in service!

Comment

Isn't @home putting in a 128kbps upload cap?

Comment

hehe that's what I was told!

Maybe later when they have more subscribers. In AZ they upped the rate from 128k to 256 so who knows what the future holds?!

Comment

Working...
                              X