More Overclocking Fun- how many are using peltiers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Overclocking Fun- how many are using peltiers

I installed a 52 watt Leufkins Peltier kit on my PEP66. I am now running at 1.9v, 129MHz @ 1032MHz very stable.
    My new temps are-->Room temp= 23 degC, Case temp= 30 degC, mobo temp= 32 degC, CPU temp range= 19-24 degC-->idle to full load.

The 52 watt peltier is a conservative effort for a P3 and I don't think I'll have a freezing and condensation problem with this.

So, what size peltier(watts),processor/voltage, and temps are you guys getting with yours???????

Paul

------------------
    P3-800 @ 1032MHz, ABIT BX133, 256MB PC150 HSDRAM, G450-32MB DDR on BNC,IBM Deskstars 18GB ATA/66 and 13.5GB ATA/66,21"Trinitron,SCSI CDR/RW,SCSI ZIP,SB Live!Value,USR Voice Faxmodem Pro(USB Ext),Epson 1520 printer,Umax1200S scanner,WN98 all in a Addtronics 7896A case and a (Not so Messy Desk) ;-P
    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

It is not possible to get condensation in Albuquerque, NM.

Comment

Hmmm... what's that wet stuff on the outside of my cold beer bottle....LOL

Paul
      "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Drool!
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I believe mine is a 72 watt on the MC-1000

I'm running at 1.7vt

processor temp right now is 56f
          case temp is 77f
          room temp is 74

------------------
          P3-700e @ 1052! Check it here!
          Abit BE6-2
          TwinMos 128mb pc-133
          Matrox Fusion Plus F800 AGP with 64mb fcram
          Maxtor 15.3gb 7,200rpm
          SB Live!
          Winblows 98se & DX7
          and 384k DSL!
          System 1:
          AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
          Epox 8K7A
          2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
          an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
          SBLIVE 5.1
          Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
          IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
          Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
          3Com Hardware Modem
          Teac 20/10/40 burner
          Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

Looks like you have a G450. How does that handle your 86Mhz AGP bus? I read a review somewhere (cant remember where) saying that they didnt like high AGP speeds.

I burnt out my G400, which could handle a 133 FSB easy, but now wont even work at 117. I might buy a G450 to tide me over till the G800 comes out (and Im sure my girlfriend would like my G400 to upgrade here Riva128).

Ali

Comment

I can boot into Windows at 133MHz but it's just not stable enough to keep there. I think it's the P3-800 which can't handle the higher FSB speeds. The G450 has not given me any problems as far as overclocking, 2X AGP all the way to 133MHz FSB so far.

Hey Greebe, I only drool when I've had too much Tequilla or Mescal.

Paul

Comment

Hey DuRaNgO, did the MC-1000 come with a copper cold plate to make contact with the processor or does the ceramic from the TEC contact the processor???

Paul

Comment

Mine came with a very thin piece of copper, but the new ones come with a 1/2" thick piece

Once I got it, I disassembled it and replaced all the compound with my own lucky stuff
                  jim
                  System 1:
                  AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
                  Epox 8K7A
                  2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
                  an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
                  SBLIVE 5.1
                  Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
                  IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
                  Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
                  3Com Hardware Modem
                  Teac 20/10/40 burner
                  Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

DuRaNgO, yes that's a 72 watt pelt
                    Gabe only uses Tellurex peltier devices
                    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Well, I had another project going this past week. I ordered a Hedghog copper heatsink and a 68W peltier.

To give the peltier enough power I decided to add a second power supply. I thought about an external supply but Rags convinced me to do it in a more professional manner.
                      I had an extra 300W PS which puts out 14 amps at +12v which would be perfect. My current PS only puts out 10 amps at +12v which isn't enough to run all the 12v stuff in my system and a peltier.

So, here's some pics (LAMF loves these)

The second PS is the top one. I had to do some cutting on the back plate for the second PS.

I wired the second PS so it starts and shuts off at the same time as the primary PS. Here's a wiring diagram for doing this. I connected the two with a Molex connector so they can be separated if needed. So, get out the soldering iron and the heat shrink and have fun...
                      http://overclocking.telefragged.com/...utricks-2.html

The Hedgehog heatsink is a beauty!! all copper and a lot heavier than any other socket heatsink out there.
                      NICE!!!

This shows it with the pelt and silver cold plate. I used neoprene for the foam insulation. I found that cheap mouse pads are great for this. Just pour a bit of acetone on the cloth top and peel it right off the neoprene.

Here it is on my mobo with Delta fan.

My new temps are-->Room temp= 23 degC, Case temp= 24.7 degC, mobo temp= 30 degC, CPU temp range= 16-18 degC-->idle to
                      full load.

The Hedgehog heatsink doesn't get that warm and should be able to handle a higher wattage peltier than the Alpha heatsinks.

Paul

------------------
                      P3-800 @ 1032MHz, ABIT BX133, 256MB PC150 HSDRAM, G450-32MB DDR on BNC,IBM Deskstars 18GB ATA/66 and 13.5GB ATA/66,21"Trinitron,SCSI CDR/RW,SCSI ZIP,SB Live!Value,USR Voice Faxmodem Pro(USB Ext),Epson 1520 printer,Umax1200S scanner,WN98 all in a Addtronics 7896A case and a (Not so Messy Desk) ;-P

Comment

Hedgehog is indeed a beauty. I'm an overclocking wimp, no pel-tieh for me. Hmmm, I have space for a second 300W PS. Shut up brain before I stab you with a Q-tip.
                        I ordered the ATTECH little copper HSF from coolerguys, saw a review where it ran cooler than the chrome orb, and couldn't get an Alpha. My 700 Duron does 800 (850 really but I wimped out) with a POS HSF, at 1.6V, so I'm thinking 900 should be doable with better cooling. How much for a decent Peltier setup. I'm thinking that for the amount of money I may as wel buy a faster processor. Or is it that I'm getting better than a faster processor because it's running so cool?

------------------
                        Inwin Q500 Case
                        Abit KT7
                        AMD Duron 700 MHz.
                        128 MB Micron PC100 Cas 2 PC100 SDRAM.
                        Seagate 20 GB 5400 RPM HD
                        Quantum Fireball 4.3 GB HD
                        Plextor PX-W8432 burner
                        Creative Labs SoundBlaster Live! X-Gamer
                        Matrox G400 DH 32MB
                        Mag Innovision DX17T
                        Klipsch ProMedia v2.400
                        ATI TV Wonder
                        Realtek 8039AS based 10Mbps NIC
                        Running Win98SE, Win2K, BeOS 5 and Mandrake Linux 7.1
                        [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                        Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                        Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                        Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                        Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Hey Denty, a good peltier kit for socket A processors runs between $34.00 and $39.00 with a Delta fan from Leufkens.
                          http://peltiers.tripod.com/page8.html It's at the bottom of the page.

The PAL 6035 heatsinks are hard to come by but this site has them on the way. You could preorder one.
                          http://nerdsbyte.hypermart.net/
                          I got my Hedgehog from Nerdsbyte last week while they still had a few.

Another good site to watch for heatsinks and stuff is 2CoolTec.
                          http://www.2cooltek.com/index.html
                          2Cool also sells sheets of adhesive backed closed cell foam for insulating the mobo and heatsink. Same stuff as in the Leufkens kits.

Instructions for preparing your motherboard and putting the peltier on the heat sink are here.
                          http://www.octools.com/

and Swiftec has good instructions as well.
                          http://www.swiftnets.com/

I'd still keep an eye out for the Hedgehogs. They do work better than the Alphas.

Paul

Comment

Here's what my temps look like with the Pelt on the Hog.

This is just after WinBlows boots up.

This is after an hour of cruising the net.

Paul

------------------

Comment

Show me what it looks like after an hour of cleaning Kermit =P

Comment

Working...
                              X