Building a PC!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a PC!

Ok - I've built a few PCs (including my own) and I was just wondering about the little red grounding pads which are put where the screws are for connecting the motherboard to the case. What do these do and what is the correct placement for them? Between screw/motherboard case-side? Between screw-head/motherboard component-side?

Thanks,

Paul.

------------------
    Pace3000 Network: (early stages)
    Arena | Seti | P3K | TechSupport | Portal
    Matrox Users / SETI@MURC
    Join the team! | Crunch faster! | View the stats!
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

The correct place for them is in the bin! That where I put them any how. Infact, I haven't seen them come with a new case in months...

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Hehe, that's what I was thinking. It was an unusual reading of the motherboard manual that said use as many screws as possible as these ground the system. So I wondered what the point of the pads are!

Thanks, Paul.
      Meet Jasmine.

Comment

To prevent shorting of adjacient traces on the MB. These were used some years ago as the common myth then was to isolate everything and allow only the PSU connector to conduct the current.
        As many would guess, I balked at this way back when (me grey hairs are a showing!) and argued the point everytime with those whom said "well all the major manufactures use them". My normal responce was, if you were lead off a tall bridge, would you jump?
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

They are important on some motherboards. I know that for a (painful) fact. On a VA503+ mobo put them between screw and component side or else you get the CPU fan flicker of life followed by nada. Baffled me for a couple days, I thought I had murdered the CPU/Mobo.
          [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
          Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
          Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
          Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
          Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

as I understand it, they are used between screwhead & motherboard as a washer in order to help alleviate pressure associated with overtightening the screw to motherboard.

Comment

Denty, That may very well be true, but one must ask themself, how good could the overall design be when the engineers messed up a simple ground?!
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Yea Greebe! Though what Ibrahim said makes sense.
                Meet Jasmine.

Comment

Just speaking from experience Greebe, I don't own a VA503+ anymore, although there's one in the living room that used to be mine. Using Abit KT7 now and didn't need any o' that shi*. Duron is fine at 800, getting ATTech CM25 NEW
                  Solid Copper heatsink
                  and Artic Silver HS compound soon. going for stable 900
                  [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                  Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                  Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                  Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                  Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Working...
                  X