nVidia trying to REALLY win the OEM market

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nVidia trying to REALLY win the OEM market

nVidia motherboards, ick. I hope they fare as well as intel did with video cards. I hate it when companies go for market monopoly.
    http://www.ebns.com/story/OEG20000918S0026
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Look at the bright side...
    it means that laptops will soon have the possibility of having a GF2mx instead of ATI

Comment

Why doesn't Matrox get a deal with Intel? The i850 chipset would be a great companion for a G850 .

And have an AGP slot for the Fusion functionality .

Paul.

------------------
      Pace3000 Network: (early stages)
      Arena | Seti | P3K | TechSupport | Portal
      Matrox Users / SETI@MURC
      Join the team! | Crunch faster! | View the stats!
      Meet Jasmine.
      flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

i850?
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

It's as real as the G850 Wombat .

Paul.
          Meet Jasmine.

Comment

Pace: You have no idea.

Comment

Could be the begining of the downward slide for NVidia.
              Diamond came out with a pretty nice motherboard right before they slipped out of the graphics card spotlight a few years ago.
              chuck
              Chuck
              秋音的爸爸

Comment

often a company goes wrong by either having a gigantic lead over the competition, which effectively can slow down all development of new products to a halt, and / or by focusing on things they are not 'best of their field' in.

Since both situations apply to nVidia, this could turn out very bad for them... of course these results don't have to happen at all...

Comment

Imagine this:
                  in half a year, nVidia will lunch mainboards with Integrated GF2 Technolegy, Asus, Abit and AOpen adopt it making 150$ GF2 Powerd Mainboards.
                  All goes well, and these mainboards are a hit for casual gamers and the oh-so-large OEM market.
                  After Nvidia's Next video technolegy, (The NV25) is a hit in the Retail market, and the MS X-Box is the leading gaming consule on the world, Nvidia decides to try other markets as well.
                  they start making sound cards.
                  "Nvidia SoundForce X7".
                  Creative puts up a fight with thier new line of Live! cards but Nvidia says it will stop providing Creative with graphic chips for thier boards, creative stands down.
                  After Nvidia has taken yet another market by storm, they decide it's not enough, so they start making graphic cards as well and not only chips.
                  of course bt now they are not allowing other manufactores (such as Creative or ELSA) to make graphic cards with Nvidia chipsets on them.
                  But wait! it does not stop there! after each computer sold in the OEM and retail market has an Nvidia Chipset on it's mainboard, an Nvidia Graphics and sound processor, Nvidia decides they should go and make thier own API. and since most of the market is running on Nvidia cards by now, game developers will have to adopt it.
                  and that is only the start!
                  NVIDIA PDA's, Monitors, Keyboards, Mice, DVD's, NIC's, Modems, SCSI Cards, Printers, Scanners, Speakers and even an Operating System....
                  if you folow the mid-early years of the modern computer market (notibly the 70's and 80's) you might notice that Nvidia are starting to act -more-or-less- like Apple or MS in that time... if Nvidia plans to make mainboard chipsets works, then I think an Nvidia-Microsoft combination might be imminent... just like what happend with Apple and MS in the 80's, but this time it will be Nvidia that will come on the top...

that's creepy... but might just happen...

------------------

"Excuse me for butting in, but I'm interrupt-driven..."
                  __________________________________________________ ____
                  Worstation Specs:
                  Asus P3B-F w/Celeron@680mhz
                  160mb PC100 7ns RAM.
                  Matrox G400 142/190Mhz.
                  IBM 75GXP 7200RPM 15Gb.
                  Seagate U8 4.1gb Hdd,
                  SBlaster Live! Digital.
                  17" Mag InnoVision 770Ti TrinitronFR Monitor @1152X864
                  Logitech MouseMan Wheel USB (on Everglide Giganta SE)
                  Focus 127keys MM Keyboard.
                  HP SCSI Cd-Rw 7200Si
                  AOpen X48 CD ROM.
                  AOpen 1040Pro Slot DVD
                  3Com NIc @ Tevel/3Com Cable Modem
                  Modded case, the "banshee". 6 fans.
                  3Com Palm IIIx + GoType + AxxPAC
                  "Excuse me for butting in, but I'm interrupt-driven..."
                  __________________________________________________ ____
                  Worstation Specs:
                  Asus P3B-F w/Celeron@680mhz
                  160mb PC100 7ns RAM.
                  Matrox G400 142/190Mhz.
                  IBM 75GXP 7200RPM 15Gb.
                  Seagate U8 4.1gb Hdd,
                  SBlaster Live! Digital.
                  17" Mag InnoVision 770Ti TrinitronFR Monitor @1152X864
                  Logitech MouseMan Wheel USB (on Everglide Giganta SE)
                  Focus 127keys MM Keyboard.
                  HP SCSI Cd-Rw 7200Si
                  AOpen X48 CD ROM.
                  AOpen 1040Pro Slot DVD
                  3Com NIc @ Tevel/3Com Cable Modem
                  Modded case, the "banshee". 6 fans.
                  3Com Palm IIIx + GoType + AxxPAC

Comment

What do you mean Wombat? I know the G850 doesn't exist (well, not for sure ) but is the i850 not a replacement for the i840? Or maybe even a higher up version (quad servers etc).

Paul.
                    Meet Jasmine.

Comment

What do you mean Wombat? I know the G850 doesn't exist (well, not for sure ) but is the i850 not a replacement for the i840? Or maybe even a higher up version (quad servers etc).

Paul.
                      Meet Jasmine.

Comment

HICCUP!

Pace please delete 3 of those posts.
                        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Sorry Pace. Three words:

N.
                          D.
                          A.

I just thought maybe stuff went public so I could discuss it.

Comment

cjolley, which MB would that be your talking about?
                            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Here's a link to the latest "almost confirmed" specs for the NV20:
                              http://guru3d.com/news.shtml#newsitem969544176,19871,

Damn impressive. Looks like the X-box is going to have some serious hardware with the NV25.

Comment

Working...
                              X