UltraDMA disabled ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UltraDMA disabled ????

My computer (BIOS) gives me message on startup that my hard drive is capable of UltraDMA mode 2 and S.M.A.R.T but I have disabled it. Otherwise everything works fine but I would still like to know how to "enable" it. I have no settings in BIOS to do that (or am I blind).
    I found out from Intel page that 440BX does support UltraDMA. So could my computer lie to me (telling that hard drive is UDMA capable) or do I need to upgrade something (BIOS, MOBO drivers) in order to enable it.
    Suggestions highly appreciated

P/h/a/d/e

HP Vectra VE
    PII-350 Mhz
    Matrox G400 32 Mb (Nice )
    SB Live OEM
    Intel 440BX chipset

Window 95 (maybe my windows needs updates ?)

have you enabled DMA for your hdd in device manager?

Comment

something completely different but also similar to a certain degree:

my Linux box, which has a Intel EX chipset (a low-cost version of the Intel LX), detects my HDD as UDMA mode 2 on BIOS startup, but I know the HDD is capable of UDMA/33, and Multiword DMA mode 2 is only 16.66MBps.

However, I've run hdparm with -d1 and -x66, which effectively enable UDMA/33 mode. Does Windows (and linux) work completely around the BIOS regarding IDE transfers?

Comment

I just can not believe how good and fast this forum is 8). MURC Forums RULE

Thank you all for suggestions.

ayoub_ibrahim: Yes, I have enabled it.

The PIT: Hmm, you could be right. I'll examine the error message more closely when I get home although this could be hard because it boots quite fast .
        BTW: how can I check what mode (UltraDMA) my hard drive currently runs ???

P/h/a/d/e

Comment

It depends on what bios you're using where this is hiding. What Bios are running? Award ?
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

dZeus

UDMA mode 2 = UDMA33
            UDMA mode 4 = UDMA66
            UDMA mode 5 = UDMA100

Kim

------------------
            Join the MURC SETI team!
            View the exciting stats
            P5B Deluxe, C2D E6600, Scythe Ninja, G.Skill 2GBHX
            Raptor 150x3, Plextor PX-760SA, X-Fi Elite, 7900GT, 21" CM813ET Plus, CM Stacker

Comment

Ultra-ATA: Also called Ultra-DMA, ATA-33, and DMA-33, supports multiword DMA mode 3 running at 33 MBps.

multiword dma mode 2 = 16.6MBps

Comment

I believe that the bios is just refering to the smart capability of your hardrive and not the dma. All the smart does is check that hardrive is healthy and will give you pre warning if it's going to fail. Enabling it so I hear slows your system down.
                Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

PIT:

Well guess what, you were absolutely right:

bios was just refering to the S.M.A.R.T capability of your hardrive and not the dma

Actually it said (something like that)

UltraDMA mode 2, S.M.A.R.T capable but disabled

The message was displayed so short time that I did not notice the ", " before.

Thank you all for suggestions, this forum rulez

Comment

Working...
                  X