Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Blue Yonder and beyond?

If only I could my friend.

Just as I was getting good and excited about it last month, they put back the date for bristol until sep/oct, which I"m presuming means 'once we fix our digicable service'.

I mean they've been tantalising us with the promise of next day delivery of beer using our TV for months now.

I"ll be going for it, if only because I wouldn't trust BT with broadband equipment. Also I heard that the BT unit is a USB device, and as we want a linux box running as a web server / firewall / router it pretty much puts BT out of the picture.

Are they promising it to you soon? Or is it technically 'available' now (I can't check the site on this POS browser)

Uberlad

------------------
    -------------------------
    8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
    5 out of 10 referred to me by name.

uberlad, you don't have to use their digital terminal. From the stories I heard about BT I don't blame anyone for wanting something else. But just like here there are bad and good, most have no choice of broadband. Like for me it's @home or nothing (unless I wish to pay phenominal corporate rates for xDSL service). I have @Home and to be honest, they leave alot to be desired (especially their email servers. D**n I wish they'd get that straight!). Anyhoo I'm running an external digital terminal (RCA DCM 215) and it's great! RCA has the DCM 225 which adds USB functionality to it. While this might be easy for providers to use, this is just another way of saying "our techs are idiots and we need an easier way of connecting to our customers".

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I am fully expecting them to do something that will force us into using their hardware, possibly even crippling it in some way so that we cannot share the connection.

Companies can already get DSL in the UK (allegedly anyway) and they pay big-time for a multi-user connection.

I hope I"m wrong and their system (when eventually it trundles into place) is fine, but until then I am hoping that telewest are gonna come through for me, and give me the fat pipe I"ve always wanted (we live in an area that seems to be mostly old people and young couples, not exactly bandwidth grabbers in my experiene 8-) )

Uberlad

------------------

Comment

Yeah, I can get Blue Yonder today if I wish (but I'm waiting for a friend who workds for wellytest to find out if he can get me if with free installation

------------------
        Cheers,
        Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Even if they port block the heck out of you they won't be able to prevent sharing. @Home strickly prohibits this and I've done it.

Just get the connection info and do it all yourself. If they're anything like the install twits around here, they'll even slap file and printers sharing on the internet bound TCP/IP stack. Hence you'll have to make changes to it anyhoo.
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Ah, you lucky devil.

Tell me how it goes, hopefully we'll finally see some sort of action in October but after the interactive television I"m not holding my breath.

Uberlad

------------------

Comment

Have you played with the telewest digital tv? The video on demand and the ability to pause, play, rewind and fast forward a film in realtime is very cool! Plus telewest have the infrastructure to be MUCH better than Sky Digital can ever hope to be (I'm completely ignoring On Digital as it's crap )

------------------
              Cheers,
              Steve

Comment

Sounds like they're a little further ahead on their digital roll-out round you. All the interactive stuff,apart from an old style movie booking system, is still non-functional.

I agree that they appear to have a far greater potential than sky digital, and I"m just waiting for the interactive TV to appear (mid october).

Damn the VoD sounds great, gotta get me some of that 8-)

Uberlad

------------------

Comment

To Blue Yonder and beyond?

Hi guys,

Anyone from the UK using Blue Yonder from Telewest? If so, what's their performance/reliability like? I can't get ADSL in my area for gawd knows how long.

------------------
                  Cheers,
                  Steve

Comment

Working...
                  X