Intriguing Win98 Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intriguing Win98 Problem

Just got my brand new laptop from my school. Comes pre-installed with a hefty amount of software

Problem is, they have seemed to install a program that does not allow me to make any changes to the network neighborhood.

I contacted them and found out that they actually install some type of program to "lock" the computer. The solution to it is to take the laptop to them and have them run a program to uninstall/unlock Win98.

I tried persuading them to tell me what this wonderful (just a tad bit of sarcasm ) is, but not surprisingly they said no.

So, anyone have any ideas as to what it could be?

It would seem they've engaged system policies on your poor laptop.

Either you'll edit the registry by hand, or you can use Policy Editor (poledit.exe).
    I'm not sure if it's on the CD, but I think it is.

I'll be back if I can dust up some more directions,

Kim

------------------
    Join the MURC SETI team!
    View the exciting stats
    P5B Deluxe, C2D E6600, Scythe Ninja, G.Skill 2GBHX
    Raptor 150x3, Plextor PX-760SA, X-Fi Elite, 7900GT, 21" CM813ET Plus, CM Stacker

Comment

On the full Win99SE CD, poledit.exe is located at \tools\rskit\netadmin\poledit\
      You'll have to install it though, but there's an .inf for that.

The rest is studying what goes where.
      This is all assuming that policies are your problem of course.

Kim

------------------
      Join the MURC SETI team!
      View the exciting stats
      P5B Deluxe, C2D E6600, Scythe Ninja, G.Skill 2GBHX
      Raptor 150x3, Plextor PX-760SA, X-Fi Elite, 7900GT, 21" CM813ET Plus, CM Stacker

Comment

thanks kim!

I wasn't even aware that win98 had the ability to do policies! thought that was for winnt...

anyways, i went into the policy editor, opened the registry with it. sure enough, they had restricted the network properties, parts of the contro panel, etc...

guess they didn't want to deal with the hassle of people getting curious with their laptops >=)

Comment

You know, in my old school, the computers were locked in a similar way (but not with policies, a program called Fortres 101). Basically, everything was blocked except for a few programs (word processors, web browser etc). Eventually, we got them unlocked, and played a nice CS LAN game

Comment

IS typically lock down systems so that users don't inadvertently (or purposely) get their system into an unusable state or they're locking in features to match corporate conventions (e.g. no HTML in e-mail). If you need to return your system to IS for repair, make sure you wipe out (or corrupt) the disk so they don't know you've been circumventing their safeguards; otherwise, you may get an earful.
            <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Me: "I'm having problems with my laptop"
              School IS&T: "What kind of problems?"
              Me: "I somehow got around the safeguards on my laptop... and now my hard drive is filled with pr0n!!"

on the serious side, it doesn't matter that i unlocked it. they would've done it for me. i like being in control of what happens on my computer. So, i just needed to satisfy my curiousity in case i run into this problem again

[This message has been edited by isochar (edited 19 September 2000).]

Comment

Originally posted by xortam:
                IS typically lock down systems so that users don't inadvertently (or purposely) get their system into an unusable state or they're locking in features to match corporate conventions (e.g. no HTML in e-mail). If you need to return your system to IS for repair, make sure you wipe out (or corrupt) the disk so they don't know you've been circumventing their safeguards; otherwise, you may get an earful.

Hehe. My I.S. Department gave my machine to me in an unstable state. I had to stablize my current one. Darn AMD 751 Northbridge. Not to mention missing a network protocol or two.

Comment

install tweakUI and you can control 'control panel' apps
                  abit kt7-raid athlon 1ghz quantum 20.4gb - 7200 + wd 200bb - 7200 rpm UDMA100-
                  g400 max-
                  256MB pc133 sdram - sblive value 3.0 - 4 Boston Acoustics A40's - 3com 3c905b-tx - cable access - winME
                  dx7.?- V3 steering wheel/pedals - MS sidewinder PRO
                  Kensiko (Netpointe) scrolling mouse

Comment

Working...
                  X