Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please! have mercy! my network is driving me crazy... please help... please!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please! have mercy! my network is driving me crazy... please help... please!!

After 2 hours... I give up...
    please, if you can, try to help.
    I am trying to connect two computers using a basic Peer to peer connection.
    one computer is a Wn98 machine, the other is a Win2K SP1 machine.
    the NIC software and hardware installation went very good, all of the drivers are okay, but the problem is still there.
    I can acsses the Win98 machine from the Win2K machine, but not the other way!
    I have tried ANYTHING. still nothing.
    I see the Win2K machine on the network, but when I try to acsses it, I and denied...

Please, try to help me..
    Thank you VERY VERY much.
    good day.
    "Excuse me for butting in, but I'm interrupt-driven..."
    __________________________________________________ ____
    Worstation Specs:
    Asus P3B-F w/Celeron@680mhz
    160mb PC100 7ns RAM.
    Matrox G400 142/190Mhz.
    IBM 75GXP 7200RPM 15Gb.
    Seagate U8 4.1gb Hdd,
    SBlaster Live! Digital.
    17" Mag InnoVision 770Ti TrinitronFR Monitor @1152X864
    Logitech MouseMan Wheel USB (on Everglide Giganta SE)
    Focus 127keys MM Keyboard.
    HP SCSI Cd-Rw 7200Si
    AOpen X48 CD ROM.
    AOpen 1040Pro Slot DVD
    3Com NIc @ Tevel/3Com Cable Modem
    Modded case, the "banshee". 6 fans.
    3Com Palm IIIx + GoType + AxxPAC

Check your permissions on the win2k machine.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

The PIT, did that... all user premission are eneble.
      if you could do me a real favor, can you guide me step by step on how to enble my main hard drive so that the Win98 will be able to read/write to it?
      the hardware is installed, I just go tangeld in the netwrok settings...
      thank you!
      Worstation Specs:
      160mb PC100 7ns RAM.
      Matrox G400 142/190Mhz.
      IBM 75GXP 7200RPM 15Gb.
      Seagate U8 4.1gb Hdd,
      SBlaster Live! Digital.
      HP SCSI Cd-Rw 7200Si
      AOpen X48 CD ROM.
      AOpen 1040Pro Slot DVD

Comment

Your not running something like Zone Alarm on the Win2k machine are you?
        When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

This site is pretty good for all the basics:

http://www.helmig.com/
          P4 2.53GHz, Intel D845PEBT2, 1GB Ram, G400 Max, Adaptec 19160 running, 2 Maxtor 18GB 10KRPM HD, Toshiba 40/10 SCSI DVD-Rom, Plextor 32/12/10 SCSI CD-RW, Seagate 80GB Barracuda IV, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, Viewsonic G790 19" Monitor

Comment

enable the guest account in Win2k if you haven't done already. This can be done by doing the following steps:

1.) Open Start Menu -> Programs -> Administrative tools -> Computer Management

2.) select "Local Users and Groups" in the left window of the Computer Management Console. Select Users, and rightclick on the Guest name in the right part of the Computer Management console, and click on properties.

3.) remove the "Account is disabled" option.

You should now be able to access the Win2k machine. Also make sure you have installed the File and Printer sharing service in Win2k, and when you want to share a folder with read/write permissions, just make sure you leave all the "allow" permissions on (as by default). When you want to share a folder as read-only, make sure only the read-permission is on "allow" and change is on nothing (i.e. remove both the allow and deny checkbox from it)

Good Luck!

Comment

1) Remember to set the work group to be the same on both computers.

2) The easiest way to make sure the permissions are set, is to use the same logon and password on both machines.

3) Make sure you are setting the IP address for inturnal use(ie. 10.0.0.x and subnet of 255.255.255.0). This helps alot.

4) In win2k make sure that the file and printer sharing is enabled (right click on my network places and go to properties then go to the properties of the local area connection). If it is not click on install, choose service, click on add then choose file and printer sharing.

See if that helps.

Jeff

-We stop learning when We die, and some
              people just don't know They're dead yet!

Member of the COC!
              Minister of Confused Knightly Defence (MCKD)

Food for thought...
              - Remember when naps were a bad thing?
              - Remember 3 is the magic number....

Comment

Also don't forget to share each Win2k drive you want the other machine to see. In Windows Explorer, right click on the C: drive and choose sharing. Click "share as" and put a name for it in the box (just use c: to keep it simple). By default the everyone group is given permission to see it. Click OK and the other machine should be able to see it.
                RAB
                AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

Can't get this thing with guest account as I have it disabled and have no problems with either win2k seeing each other win2k and win98se seeing the win2k.
                  If you can see the win2k machine and have enabled sharing on the hard drive it still comes down to a permissions problem. Make sure you have the account created on the win2k machine and the username and password are excatly the same. I caught myself out that way.
                  Other things that kill it are zone alarm or another firewall but I doubt you have that installed.
                  In the win2k/98 setup under networking I've got the following installed.

Client for microsofts networks
                  network card (win98 only)
                  File and print sharing
                  netbeui
                  tcp/ip

I'm using netbeui because I've got netbios disabled. If your not using the network to connect to the internet you can forget about netbeui and just use tcp/ip. Set tcp/ip to obtain ip address automatically by clicking on properties on both machines. Windows 98se and win2k assign there own ip numbers automatically. If you're using an earlier version of 98 you'll have to use fix ip address's

I'm presuming the workgroups are the same so I won't bother with that. On the win2k machine thats holding my shared drives this is what I did to get the sharing to work. Right click on the drive and choose new share. Give it a name then click on permissions and you should get a list of users on the win2k machine just add the username that you want to have access and give it the appriopate rights.
                  Alternatively if it's just one folder you want to share just right click on that and do the permissions etc.
                  Log onto the windoze 98 machine as that person and search for the computer in question. When click on the icon it should ask for a password and if your lucky you should be okay and attach tot he machine. You may then either map network drives if you so wish or just place a shortcut on the desktop.
                  If you don't log on as that person you get the access denied response.
                  Now if I missed something no doubt someone will tell me.
                  Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

well... I have fixed the problem...
                    it was 'The PIT' I have to thank for it.
                    so Thank You! Really!
                    as it turns out, the problem was that a I did not have a user with the same name as on the Win2K and Win98 machines, I am not used to working with Win2K, and I had no idea I needed both computers to have the same user...
                    Thank you all!
                    Worstation Specs:
                    160mb PC100 7ns RAM.
                    Matrox G400 142/190Mhz.
                    IBM 75GXP 7200RPM 15Gb.
                    Seagate U8 4.1gb Hdd,
                    SBlaster Live! Digital.
                    HP SCSI Cd-Rw 7200Si
                    AOpen X48 CD ROM.
                    AOpen 1040Pro Slot DVD

Comment

Don´t know what the problem is.... but I would shure like to!

If you solve it, could you post it here (or mail me) cause I have the exact same problem, and it´s been drivin´ me insane for weeks now!
                      If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Comment

Working...
                      X