SPDIF???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPDIF???

What is SPDIF? It is a sound type jack on the back of my dvd drive? What is its purpose, and should I use it instead (or with) the regular sound cable?

Thanks for your time.

It's a standard produced Sony/Philips for digital audio. Also known as S/PDIF, (Sony/Philips Digital InterFace. This uses a 75 ohm coax cable to connect other SPDIF compliant devices.

So if you don't have a SPDIF input on your soundcard then it's of no use.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Hey Mike,

If the DVD Drive is actually sending the S/PDIF stream, could this not be routed directly to a home theatre type reciever rather than a sound card?

I've been nosing around for a compatible A/V reciever for my G200 Marvel/HW decoder/DVD setup, and had always assumed that a "Digital Input" on the back of one of these recievers would work.

Not So??
      Greebe's juiced up Athlon @750 on an MSI Irongate Based M/B Marvel G200 TV with HW/DVD Daughtercard,
      CDBurner, Creative DVD, two big WD Hdds, Outboard 56K modem
      Parallel Port Scanner, Creative S/B AWE 64 (ISA), and a new Logitech WebCam (My first USB device)

Comment

The signal is a digital serial data stream that carries all the channels ...
        Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
        Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
        be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
        4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
        2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
        OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
        4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
        Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
        Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
        LG BH10LS38
        LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Tim, Some high end audio equipment have what is called a Toslink digital optical input(s). This is a variation on SPDIF design.

here's a schematic for a SPDIF (TTL) to Toslink optical
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

Several of the recievers I've been looking at have a single RCA female jack labled "Digital In." This is not S/PDIF???

Most of these higher end recievers offer the option of "Optical" or "Coax."

Again, I've just assumed that the "Coax" version of this input would recieve the S/PDIF output of my Marvel G200 TV's BOB. I have the hardware decoder, and this is one of the reasons I bought it...looking to the future when I finally do buy one of these A/V recievers.

Is the S/PDIF stream different than the "Digital" stream that these inputs are labled for??
            Greebe's juiced up Athlon @750 on an MSI Irongate Based M/B Marvel G200 TV with HW/DVD Daughtercard,
            Parallel Port Scanner, Creative S/B AWE 64 (ISA), and a new Logitech WebCam (My first USB device)

Comment

hi, my sound card only has spdif output, what devices can i connect it to ???

------------------
              P5A-B AMD K6-266@300
              Matrox Milleniumm G200 AGP (oh, lets party)
              Creative SB Awe32 (a classic, superb card)
              Realtek 8029A NIC Card
              64meg Ram
              Ali V agp chipset
              ICQ UIN: 24730025
              <font size="1">Gigabyte GA-6VXC7-4X MoBo
              VIA Apollo Pro 133a (694x/686A) chipset (4x agp, UDMA 66)
              Celeron II 733 CPU (coppermine 128)
              128meg (2x64) 133mhz SDRam
              Matrox Milleniumm G200 AGP 16 mb
              Creative Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Digital model 0100 (MP3+, Gamer)
              Quantum LM 30 gig HD 7200 RPM UDMA 66
              Realtek 8029A NIC Card
              Optiquest V775 17" Monitor
              Actima 36X CD-Rom
              Advansys 510 SCSI Card (ISA, but good enuf for my burner)
              Yamaha 6416 CD-RW
              Windows 2000 (primary)
              Slackware Linux 9.0(secondary/emergency)</font>

Comment

Same thing. Use an RCA/Coax adapter to run coax from your DVD or sound card to the Coax input of your decoder (receiver). The optical connection is equivalent to TOSLINK, which uses a fibre optic cable ... something your PC DVD doesn't have. S/PDIF is not necessary on the DVD. The digital stream is sent along the PC bus, via your device controller, to your CPU, back to the PC bus, and to the sound card (if S/PDIF equipped) for pass-through out to an external decoder (DD a.k.a. AC-3, and/or DTS).
                <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Tim, it depends on the equipment, so without additional info I can't say. Toslink & S/PDIF are based on the RS422 standard tho. Maybe this tidbit will help you in your quest for an answer.

Comment

Xortam:

Marvels have a special S/PDIF output jack on the breakout box which sends an active stream if you have the Matrox Hardware DVD decoder addon.

This has been enough of a warning that I know I'll have to try before I buy.

Thanks for the info guys.

Comment

Bixler ... If its S/PDIF, then it supports the serial digital data stream. The only difference between the coax and optical connections on the receiver is the physical/electrical interface (Physical/MAC layer); the digital data stream is the same. That's why you see in Greebes diagram a transmitter which simply converts this electrical signal into light transmissions (no data translation).

The only thing I know about Marvels and the DVD add-on is what I read on the Matrox website. The DVD module is described as providing DD decoding so it would need to output the resultant analog signal along an RCA cable or something. The specs don't detail the connections very well. That signal would just be fed into an auxiliary analog input on your receiver. The Marvel specs look like its just delivering the normal analog a/v lines (3 RCA cables). Are you sure you've got S/PDIF connections in this mix? I don't see any details on the BOB. Perhaps your products differ from what I read on the website or the specs are just incomplete.
                      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

OK, for those not with the program:

The RCA "Digital In" on your Dolby Digital AC-3 home theater receiver will INTERCHANGABLY decode the 33/44/48 kHz 16 Bit S/PDIF output OR a 96 kHz 24 Bit PCM AC-3 source. It may or may not support DTS (Digital Theatre Sound - slightly better than Dolby Digital) decoding (Which the Marvel does not support to my knowledge)

There is also the somewhat esoteric AC-3RF input on some higher-end receivers, which is for Laserdisc players only. The AC-3RF source from a Laserdisc player needs to be demodulated before decoding can take place.

Hope this helps.
                        Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

You'll now get a load of questions asking how DTS is better than 5.1 digital surround. DTS uses a lower compression (i.e. higher bitrate), and is recorded at a higher volume, and so can sound subjectively better than dolby 5.1.

BTW: On their way is digital 7.1 which has a middle speaker to the left and the right, and also 6.1 which has a speaker for the centre of the room, and also there's a 5.2 surround which has a centre rear speaker.

The .1 in 5.1 is the sub and is only .1 because it doesn't produce all the available frequencies. The .2 in 5.2 surround is because the rear centre also doesn't produce all frequencies (i.e. a sub)

------------------
                          Cheers,
                          Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Well well well, somehow RuffRyder1672 never got his answer, allthough a lot of other stuff has been mentioned.

The S/P-DIF connection on your DVD-drive is used ONLY to output the sound from an AUDIO-CD when played back from the DVD-drive. Nothing else.

The datastream can be piped into whatever S/P-DIF compatible equipment you might have. I have a portable MD and when I copy a CD to MD I always use the S/P-DIF output from my CD-ROM drive. This gives the best quality possible.

Ghydda

------------------
                            2+2=5 - but only for extremly large values of 2.
                            As I always say: You can get more with a kind word and a 2-by-4 than you can with just a kind word.
                            My beloved Parhelia was twotiming with Dan Wood - now she's gone forever and all I got is this lousy T-shirt
                            |Stolen Rig|RetroGames Rig|Workstation Rig|Server Rig|

Comment

Oops: was that the crux of the question?

If so, excuse my blathering.

I do have something useful to add to that: Not all CD/DVD drives that have the two pin digital connection present have the feature enabled.

There have also been reports of some digital outs signals not being strong enough and/or having too much jitter for some hone receivers to decode the bitstream. (For those of us whom have hacked up an external output from our CD/DVD-Roms)

I'll stop at jitter without going into THAT particular subject, for it can get heated.

Best to all.

Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Working...
                              X