Directx8 and Microsoft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Directx8 and Microsoft

I've installed a beta version of directx8 and now it has expired!Please upgrade to the lastest version a alert message says, I would if there were a lastest version to install!!!!!!!!!!
    When trying to install v7.0 it just find a newer version and aborts... Damn microshaft for trying to make their programs so intelligent! The Microshaft way to uninstall directx is to format the hard drive, In my opinion that is something you do ONCE when the hdd is new!(And not every 3 months..) Also tried a directx uninstaller prog, but it can only uninstall up to v7.0 .
    I'm running Windogs Me and I will never try a Microshaft beta again!!
    My system:
    | Athlon XP2600+ 2,4GHz@200FSB| Water Cooled Processor | Samsung 2x256MB PC3200 Ram (400MHz) | Epox 8RDA mb | Hercules FDX Radeon 8500 LE 128MB | Abit Hot Rod DMA/100 RAID controller | 2*20GB IBM and Western 10.2GB @RAID controller | Soundblaster 5.1 Audigy Player | Actima 6x/32x DVD-ROM, Samsung 12x/8x/32x CDRW | Logitech Force Feedback wheel | Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick | 550W water-cooled Q-TEC PSU | 278/278 kbit DSL internet connection | Windows 2000 Pro | My Homepage
    homemade watercooling in use,Pics on the homepage...

no more VIA, no more!

I don't want to offend you, but can someone please tell me why anyone would intall DirectX 8.0 beta anyway?

I only see the point for graphic card manufacturers testing their new drivers, or game developers wanting to take advantage of newly added features.

Anyone else installing DirectX 8.0 deserves all the trouble they get imho. :

- No game currently uses the new features of DirectX 8
    - There are no video drivers out yet that support DirectX 8.0 (well.. maybe Radeon, or GTS, but I doubt it. I think nVidia and ATI have not yet released drivers that take advantage of DirectX 8 yet).
    - possible 'speed increase'. DirectX 7.0 already was heavily optimised for speed (according to Microsoft and DX 6 too). Do you really think that after 2 optimisation revisions, there stil will be a real speed increase?

Comment

lindberg:
      You can solve the problem by manually delete the files in DX8 (you can list them by running dxdiag) and install DX7 over it. Or, you can install the latest beta from

ftp://ftp.ngi.it/files/Drivers/DirectX_8/DX80eng.exe

Comment

Maybe games don't use new features of dx8, BUT they work better..
        Example:
        Hard Truck 2, It kept on crashing and sometimes it just throwed me to my desktop without any warings at all. I patched it and I tried different driver for my G400 and no change, then I installed dx8 and then it started running just fine. And also other games started to run stable as well.
        So, don't come here and say that dx8 is of no use, because it is. There are other games than Quake and Doom and all those stoneage old shooters!.
        I'll try and give the "dxdiag" another shot and edit the register and then maybe, maybe...
        My system:
        | Athlon XP2600+ 2,4GHz@200FSB| Water Cooled Processor | Samsung 2x256MB PC3200 Ram (400MHz) | Epox 8RDA mb | Hercules FDX Radeon 8500 LE 128MB | Abit Hot Rod DMA/100 RAID controller | 2*20GB IBM and Western 10.2GB @RAID controller | Soundblaster 5.1 Audigy Player | Actima 6x/32x DVD-ROM, Samsung 12x/8x/32x CDRW | Logitech Force Feedback wheel | Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick | 550W water-cooled Q-TEC PSU | 278/278 kbit DSL internet connection | Windows 2000 Pro | My Homepage

no more VIA, no more!

Comment

There's a thread over at ntcompatible.com dealing with this, and it did have a couple of good suggestions, have a look here: http://www.ntcompatible.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001329.html

Comment

I'm sorry I just had to add to this thread.
            Going back to the original post at the top.
            Can I just make sure I have got your problem right.
            You downloaded Microsoft DirectX 8 beta from an illegal source.
            This illegaly obtained BETA version has now expired and you can't get back to your old version.
            And then then main point of your post - Damn you Microsoft, you suck big time.

OK, now I have the facts right.
            1. Are you an official Microsoft beta tester?
            If you were you would now have access to the latest beta build which obviously corrects the 'Program Expired' message.
            2. As you are obviously quite happy to search the net looking for warez and the like did you go back to the site where you got your original download to see if they have the latest?
            3. Funny thing is Microsoft, along with all other software manufacturers are getting pretty damn upset with people getting hold of their software who shouldn't or for free so funnily enough that's the reason for the time locked trial.
            4. If WindowsME isn't fast enough for you try running a real OS?
            5. If Microsoft 'sux' that bad, don't use their software?

[This message has been edited by Paulr (edited 06 September 2000).]
            It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
            Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

1. No, I'm not an official tester.
              2. I've downloaded dx8 from links like one posted in this thread. And for what I know directx is free.
              3. That is still no excuse for not being able to install a version of the program which you're entitled to!
              4. I've never complained about the speed of win Me!!
              5. I among with most other people would, but that not possible because most programs and games are designed for windows and directx and will not operate in ie Linux!

The problem is solved now thanks to Humus
              My system:

no more VIA, no more!

Comment

This is the typical response of somebody who has no problems with illegal copies of software.
                Quote:
                That is still no excuse for not being able to install a version of the program which you're entitled to!

You are NOT entitled to a copy of DirectX 8 beta.
                That is what beta testers are for.
                Unless you are on the official beta test program you have obtained your copy illegally.

Quote:
                I've downloaded dx8 from links like one posted in this thread. And for what I know directx is free.

In this case you are correct.
                DirectX is free and available from www.microsoft.com/directx
                The current version posted on this web site is 7.0a, the latest retail release.
                Any version that isn't available as a public download from the above mentioned site you are not 'entitled' to.
                It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
                Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

Using beta Microsoft stuff is like driving a beta car: "the brakes will be fixed in the next release, sir". I have no pity on people who toy with that crap.

Bart
                  Bart

Comment

You can get a DirectX 8 uninstaller here: http://www.tweaktown.com/files.shtml#dx

Comment

Interesting debate here...

Now, for the sake of argument, I _am_ a beta tester.

However, let's say you're not. And you want to install DX8. Largely because you have heard the rumours (quite true ones, I might add) that all of a sudden your useless Sound Blaster Live! will work in Win2k, and some of your G400 bugs will be fixed, and all your games will run 25% faster (if not more)!

So you install it. And it hoses your system.

Were you wrong to install it? Well, that's a question best left to the philosophers, although we know how Joel feels about breaking license agreements and the like (cheap shot, Joel, I admit!).

Can you reasonably expect help from normal, law-abiding, non-beta-installing folk? Umm... no. Why would you be able to?

*sigh*

- Gurm

------------------
                      Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
                      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                      If only life were as easy as you
                      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                      If only life were as easy as you
                      I would still get screwed

Comment

my point is that I don't care wether your allowed to install it or not, but that you just should know by now that MS beta stuff is _very_ unstable in some cases, and you better only install the final MS stuff, ad even that is full of bugs

If you're a beta tester for MS and you hosed your system, I can only say: you must be a masochist beta-testing MS stuff for real

Comment

Well, I also installed Dx8beta, because it fixed a win2k bug!!!

I'm speaking about the sticky mouse bug. If you click once, the button seems stuck indefinitely and such things who are really frustrating in a game like Rainbow or AvP!

With dx8 it works!!!

So I do feel it's in my right to abuse from a dx8 beta to get win2k to work like i'd like to.

But it's clear for me that if Dx8beta causes me trouble, it's my fault and not MS's.

Vlip

Comment

I feel like I'll have to make another statement. I didn't accuse MS for making a bad directx, on the contrary dx8 is very good indeed. But what I complained about was the problem to not be able to install a older version, and that goes for all dx. What happend to the "The file copied is older than the excisting file, do you want to keep this one?"? To format c: is in my opinion a very,very poor way to unistall dx! Most people have more than just windows and office installed!

And paulr, who doesn't own a unregistered copy of winzip? (and uses it for years by the way... )
                            My system:

no more VIA, no more!

Comment

lindberg,you should try www.tweaktown.com as they claim to have a betaDirectX uninstaller on the site.

Comment

Working...
                              X