Quick NT Server question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick NT Server question

I've seen this at sites I have been to but can't figure out how to do it. What I want is a waning message to appear when they try to log into the NT Server saying that if they are not authorised to do so they should sod off! They then click on a button to accept this and log on in the normal way. The client PC's are a mixture of Win95 and NT4.0 so it needs to work on both.

Any help would be greatly appretiated.
    When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

For Windows NT, enter into ye faithful registry editor (Start -> Run, Open: Regedit, click OK) and go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Create two String Values called LegalNoticeCaption and LegalNoticeText. Whatever text you add for the value of the LNC will be the window title, the LNT will be the text in the window. This box will show up when a user hits Ctrl+Alt+Del to log in.

I don't know how to do it in Win95. If you can find a WinLogon registry key in the Win95 registry you can try creating thos values and see if it works.

Jammrock

------------------
    Athlon 650, Biostar board, 128 MB PC133 (Crucial), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, 10/100 NIC, lots of case fans, etc...
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I'll give that a bash.

Many Thanks
      When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

If ya want a less risk way of doing it download X-Setup from www.xteq.com
        C:\DOS
        C:\DOS\RUN
        \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

Alternatively you can also customize this legal notice text in Windows 2000 with the Local Security Policy editor (Administrative Tools). The settings are under Local Policies -> Security Options and are called "Message text for users attempting to log on" and "Message title for users attempting to log on."

I can't remember whether this policy editor was in NT4. You can always do it the registry editing way of course.

Comment

I can't remember whether this policy editor was in NT4. You can always do it the registry editing way of course.
            NT4 didn't have it, they added it to Win2k to make it easier to admin, and because if you don't have it it's not illegal to hack your box

Comment

The registry keys worked fine under Win NT and by manually adding the keys in Win 98 it worked there as well.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Comment

Working...
              X