How loud is the Seagate X15?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How loud is the Seagate X15?

I'm considering getting one, but I'm concerned about noise. The comments on StorageReview are all over the place; Eugene says persistent annoying whine, others in the forums are saying surprisingly quite. I have an Atlas 10K which is pretty quite.

John

seagate+windows= bad sectors! I have two seagate, one at work,one at home and both have bad sectors... My western on the other hand work fine and is quieter too.
    My system:
    | Athlon XP2600+ 2,4GHz@200FSB| Water Cooled Processor | Samsung 2x256MB PC3200 Ram (400MHz) | Epox 8RDA mb | Hercules FDX Radeon 8500 LE 128MB | Abit Hot Rod DMA/100 RAID controller | 2*20GB IBM and Western 10.2GB @RAID controller | Soundblaster 5.1 Audigy Player | Actima 6x/32x DVD-ROM, Samsung 12x/8x/32x CDRW | Logitech Force Feedback wheel | Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick | 550W water-cooled Q-TEC PSU | 278/278 kbit DSL internet connection | Windows 2000 Pro | My Homepage
    homemade watercooling in use,Pics on the homepage...

no more VIA, no more!

Comment

i have a seagate 10k rpm U2W 9.1gb HD. Never had any problems or bad sectors. This drive "feels" more reliable than any of my 3 Western Digitals.

It is louder though, but the 4 case fans silence it.

Comment

lindberg, are you talking about Seagate IDE drives, or SCSI drives? IDE drives are less reliable in general, SCSI however has to hold up to a much higher standard due to the fact that SCSI is used for mission critical applications. If a manufacturer got a rep for making poor SCSI drives that were prone to errors they would get washed up in no time.

At my office we have a rather large number of servers, all of which have either Seagate or IBM SCSI drives. The bulk of them are 10K RPM. We have yet to have one die. Meanwhile, out of our Dell workstations, which have mostly WD and Maxtor IDE drives, we have had 5 die since I have been here(a little over a year).

I have complete faith in the quality of both IBM and Seagate where SCSI is concerned.

Anyway, I can't comment on the noise level right now, give me a few weeks and we'll probably have some of those spiffy 15KRPM drives in here. (We were going to get some for our last batch of servers, but they were backordered for about a month )

Ian
        Primary System:
        MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
        120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
        Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
        Seccondary System:
        Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
        3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
        Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
        Tertiary system
        Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
        Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

Thought you all might be curious. I did pick up a Cheetah X15; got tired of waiting for the Atlas 10K 2. Anyways, it's unbelieveable. My Quantum Atlas 10K was (and still is) great but this drive is something to behold. I can't even hear disk access -- really; I'm not exagerating. Its ambient noise is no higher than the 10K. Temp (with one of those 3dcool under-the drive coolers) is fine. The benchmarks are phenomenal.

So, if you've got $500 burning a hole in your pocket, this is the ultimate splurge.

John

Comment

I'm running a couple of IBM U160 drives at the moment (10k), and they're a bit noisy compared to the 7200RPM IDE drives I was running before (also IBM, mostly silent) but not so loud that I'd give up the SPEED!

- Gurm

------------------
            Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            If only life were as easy as you
            I would still get screwed

Comment

HedsSpaz, Ive had 2 Seagate Medalist Pro 7200rpm 9.1Gb UW SCSI hard drives, and both have had bad sectors. I sent the first one back under warrenty, but the second one did the same thing only about 2 months later.

I also have a cheetah, and that has been the best thing out. Never a bad sector or anything.

Im guessing the medalist pro was a bad design or something.

Ali

Comment

Working...
              X