Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD T-Bird SlotA vs. SocketA speed

Hi,
    I'd like to know if there are significant speed differences between the T-Bird for SocketA versus the SlotA versions.
    Another question goes for the overclocking capabilities: Is the "oc'ing with a pencil"(tm) method working with the SlotA versions as well?
    And how can I tell if the specific T-Bird SlotA (a 750MHz one) is good for oc'ing?

TIA,
    Joachim

[This message has been edited by Indiana (edited 10 September 2000).]
    But we named the *dog* Indiana...
    My System
    2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
    German ATI-forum

BTW, I've got an Asus K7M.
    My System
    German ATI-forum

Comment

SlotA T-Birds are reported to be slightly slower (MB's fault).

I don't know if the pencil trick works on SlotA ( I can think of arguements for either side), but if you have a Golden Fingers device, they work.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Thanks for the answer.
        I thought the Irongate chipset was actually faster in Mem-speed than the VIA chips found on SocketA Mainboards?
        Unfortunately I don't have a goldfinger device - I don't like internet-ordering, I'm a bit old-fashionably (is this word correct? At least that's what Altavista's Babelfish is saying) here: I like to go into the shop and take the parts with me.
        And apparently there is no shop where you can buy those goldfinger things directly, at least not here in the south of germany...

Which of the TBirds overclocks the best? Any productionweeks or serial-numbers to look for?
        My System
        German ATI-forum

Comment

The answers to your first question is a little complicated. I don't think CPU form factor plays a significant role in CPU speed. Given the same circumstances, Slot A TBird should be about as fast as a Socket A TBird.

But the circumstances are not necessarily the same. The capabilities of your motherboard play a role in peformance. If you are using a Socket A CPU, you have to use a motherboard based upon VIA's KT133 chipset. I suspect these boards may be a little faster than previous generations of Athlon boards. Their Winstone numbers seem a bit higher.

There are two alternatives for Slot A TBirds, and neither are perfect solutions. You could use your motherboard, which is based upon AMD's 750 chipset. It's the first Athlon chipset, has some bus speed limitations, and it is therefore a bit slower than its successors.

The second alternative are motherboards based on VIA's KX133 chipset. They're a little newer and will allow you to take full advantage of PC133 RAM. Unfortunately, somebody screwed up, and they are not entirely compatible with the Thunderbird--particularly high clocked TBirds. Although some people have been able to overclock their TBirds, by manipulating the multiplier, to speeds well above 800 MHz, people with high clocked Slot A TBirds (at spec) and motherboards based on the KX133 chipset have had problems getting their systems to post.

You cannot overclock a Slot A CPU with a pencil. You would use a Golden Fingers Device.

The best way to tell if a specific CPU is good for overclocking is to try it. AMD has been known to ship 750 MHz TBirds with 900 MHz cores. You could remove the heatplate and the conductive materials AMD used to expose the chip. The core's speed rating is on the chip itself, at the beginning of a long string of numbers. This can be a tricky and dangerous process. Unless you're extremely careful and know what you're doing, you could damage the CPU and/or have problems getting the heatplate back on.

Paul
          paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 11 September 2000).]

Comment

Looks like I was a bit late with my response.

Paul
            paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Paul, I have to ask you.
              I've seen a few of your postings, where you have used the word predecessor when, from context, I would have thought you meant successor.

It's the first Athlon chipset, has some bus speed limitations, and it is therefore a bit slower than its predecessors.
              I know it may seem nit-picky, but it's bugging me none the less because I'm not sure.

This is meant in good humour

Kim

------------------
              Join the MURC SETI team!
              View the exciting stats
              P5B Deluxe, C2D E6600, Scythe Ninja, G.Skill 2GBHX
              Raptor 150x3, Plextor PX-760SA, X-Fi Elite, 7900GT, 21" CM813ET Plus, CM Stacker

Comment

Oops! I don't know why I have been doing that. My brain is prone to short-circuiting sometimes. I've been known to say "periodically" when I mean "sporadically."

Thanks for pointing it out.

Paul
                paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 11 September 2000).]

Comment

paulcs,
                  I've noticed your spelling sucks,too!
                  While I'm at it, thanks for all the info you get to us!

Comment

Working...
                  X