Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I like doing my MCSE Win2k study !!

Why??

<u>Not</u> because of the large amounts of data that's thrown at me every day I sit there and write my wrist off
    <u>Not</u> because of the ParaDigit PC's, with 256Mb of RAM, some soundcard, fast NICs and the DVD-players
    <u>Not</u> because we use 19" monitors...

<u>But</u> because someone must've thought about the visual quality of those monitors and installed all Matrox G400 16Mb SH videocards

Although running at PD 5.25, I might bring my PD6.01 over tomorrow, or otherwise at least the original MGATweak

Jord.

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 06 September 2000).]
    Jordâ„¢

but you're not using Win2k for the Win2k study?

I don't understand!

Comment

heh. I play around with routers and switches but I don't have routers and switches.

Sybex CCNA Virtual Lab.
      C:\DOS
      C:\DOS\RUN
      \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

the study, like the nt4 one will install under 98
        [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
        Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
        Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
        Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
        Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

No dZeus, for the moment we play around in Win98 there

Maybe it's because of the compatibility with the CD's used etc. I'll let you all know in the future as I learn more

Jord.
          Jordâ„¢

Comment

Hey Jorden - can you keep us posted on stuff to do with the course etc - I plan to do one when (if? ) I finish University. What kind of stuff is in it etc - ta! (If you've time that is!)

Paul.
            Meet Jasmine.
            flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Jorden,
              You are very lucky. My school's practice test machines are Win95 on P100 machines with 14" monitors set at 256 colors and 60 hz refresh. By the time I get out every night, my eyes are ready for a beer. But hey, they work and the school is cheap. So far I've passed five of the six MCSE exams. I should be ready for the last test by next week. I took the old NT 4.0 track because that was all that was available when I started in April.

Have you taken any exams yet? They are not easy, and you do have to study for them even if you have lots of experience with NT/Win2K. But they are not impossible either. So far the hardest exam was TCP/IP. If you are on the new Win2K track, TCP/IP is integrated into the new core course and you won't be taking it separately.

Good luck with your studies. Take all the practice tests you can. And set up a network to play with at home. It sounds like Holly has a POS machine that you could use for practice.

RAB

AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

For Paul: You could best take the course for a company that pays it for you, or you must have a lot of money by yourself (total cost of the course here in Holland plus taxes is 14,805 guilders !!)

What I need to get the 4 certificates for in the next 6 months is at least ITIL Essentials, Networking & Operating System Essentials MS W2000, Installing, configuring and administering MS W2000 Professional (I guess it will be then that we will install Win2k on those machines ), Installing, configuring and administering MS W2000 Server, Implementing and administering a MS W2000 Network Infrastructure[/b] and Implementing and Administrating a MS W2000 Directory Services Infrastructure.

Then we have to chose one of these 3 exams for a core exam:
                Designing a MS W2000 Directory Services Infrastructure or Designing Security for a MS W2000 Network or Designing a MS W2000 Network Infrastructure.

And 2 elective exams:
                Designing a MS W2000 Directory Services Infrastructure or Designing Security for a MS W2000 Network or Designing a MS W2000 Network Infrastructure (If either of these three are taken as a core exam, there's no need for the elective exam) or Upgrading from MS WNT 4.0 to W2000.

RAB: Better be sure to get all exams before the 31st of December, otherwise you can kiss MCSE goodbye, as there will only be new Win2k MCSE exams from January 1st !!

Jord.
                Jordâ„¢

Comment

Jord,
                  That should be no problem. I'll have it done by the end of next week. Then its on to job hunting (oh fun, oh joy!) and studying for the Win2k accelerated exam for NT 4.0 MCSE's. In all, I will have to take four exams by December 2001 to keep my certification. That should keep me busy.

RAB
                  AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

RAB the accelerated one is really hard I hear and you only get one shot at it.
                    [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                    Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                    Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                    Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                    Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Like they say in baseball, we take them one at a time and prepare for today's game. Right now its Internet Information Server and its hard enough. For some reason I'm having a difficult time with it. I guess its because it covers material I've never dealt with before. But I'll get through it.

I have heard that the accelerated exam is about 100 question in four hours. Since it covers the first four courses of the new curriculum, it needs to be a big mother of an exam to cover it all. But I can't worry about that now. As soon as I finish IIS, I have to find a job.

RAB

Comment

I'm in the same boat as RAB, having to finsh NT4 track before the end of this year...but ah heck, it's was a great excuse to set up a network at home

Good luck on your exam RAB, and I envy you Jord!
                        Games Box
                        --------------
                        Windows 2000Pro, ASUS A7Pro, Duron 750@950, 192MB Micron PC133, OEM Radeon DDR, 15gb Quantum Fireball+ LM, Fujitsu 5.25gb, Pioneer 32x slot load CDROM, SB Live! Value, LinkSys LNE100, Altec Lansing ACS45.2, Samsung Syncmaster 955DF, Sycom 300va UPS

Video Box
                        ------
                        Windows 2000Pro, PIII700 on ASUS CUBX, 256mb Micron PC133, Vanilla G400/32 (PD5.14), Hauppage WinTV-DBX, LinkSys LNE100, 8.4gb Maxtor HD, 40gb 7200 Western Digital, Diamond Fireport 40 SCSI, Pioneer 32x SCSI Slot load CDROM, Pioneer 10x Slot load DVD, Yamaha 4416s burner, MX300, Panasonic Panasync S70

Feline Tech Support
                        -------------
                        Jinx the Grey Thundercat, Mischa (Shilsner?)(still MIA)

...currently working on the world's first C64 based parallel computing project

Comment

DarkSyd,
                          How far along are you? The two exams that I found the hardest were Enterprise and TCP/IP. Enterprise because it can be confusing about who trusts who. TCP/IP because the interaction between DHCP, WINS and DNS can also be very confusing. DNS is the most confusing, and from what I've read, Win2k requires it in order to set up Server. So, I guess we will both have to suffer through DNS all over again with the Win2k accelerated exam. Maybe one of the guys out there can explain how DNS is integrated into Win2k. Can you set up a Win2k network (not workgroup) without it?

Good luck with your exams and if you, Jord or I have questions, maybe we could e-mail each other.

RAB

P.S. Syd if you can, take Proxy Server 2 as your last elective. I've heard its relatively easy (if you can call any of them easy). Plus, it will still count as an elective for the Win2k track. Unfortunately, my school only teaches soon to tbe retired IIS as part of their NT 4.0 curriculum so I had to take it. Even though TCP/IP is also being retired, I would still suggest you take it. You won't get through the accelerated exam without it.

[This message has been edited by RAB (edited 08 September 2000).]

Comment

As far as I've understood, we're one of the first countries in the world to have the new Win2k MCSE courses, as even the USA will continue to give NT4.0 exams and courses till December. Which is kinda strange, for how can you get all those exams within the timespan of a month?

But okay, yeah, if I have a question I'll sure email you RAB, or Syd!! And I'm happy to answer any questions you send my way

Today's study was the second day of Networking Essentials Plus, or about 2 hours I really had my attention to the classes, and the rest I played some Freecell and Soldier of Fortune on the network (which really flies on FAT16, Win98SE, P3-733 with 256Mb of RAM ). The worst thing to do is learn all those tables full of things you might get in the exam. If you want to take the exam, anyway, as it's not one of the exams you really need to do MCSE (also kinda strange there ).

Up till now we learned NT4.0 stuff, from Monday onwards we'll dive into Win2k. I'll arm myself with a CD with PD5.10 beta and PD5.11 beta on it, to get the Matrox cards working. Monday we'll get Win2k on a CD, and then it's just: Okay, there's an NT4.0 server up front, the IP address for each PC is known, the hubs might (or might not) have (these) addresses, and now you install everything to a working order!!

How do DVD's work under Win2k? Are they 'found' like in Win98 or ME? I wonder.. (lol)
                            Why? Because each machine has a DVD drive instead of a CD-ROM... hmmmm...

Jord.

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 08 September 2000).]
                            Jordâ„¢

Comment

Hey Jord..you're doing Networking Essentials right? Well you should have learned that a hub doesn't do anything with ip adresses. Stop playing sof and pay attention!

Just kidding good luck and have fun with your mcse course.

P.S. Yep dvd does work with win2k, so if you have a beamer there...

Also watch it..usually the teacher has a switch box for all the pc's in the room. So what ever you are doing can show up on everyone's screen at the click of a button...very nasty

Grtz,
                              Ed

Comment

Working...
                              X