Ode to a dying Celery 300A & mobo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ode to a dying Celery 300A & mobo

I've had the misfortune of having the AGP port or north bridge die on my ol' Celery 300A + 400BX mobo. With proper cooling, this sucker rocked at 450MHz. Yesterday and today, though, it started producing all kinds of garbage in the video display. Random horizontal lines would get garbage pixels for a stretch, with approx 8 pixels between garbage.

This system has been solid, and nothing has changed in it for a couple of months. I was panicking thinking that my G400 was dying. After further testing, the G400 is fine, but that mobo's north bridge or agp port is going flakey.

I have two G400s: one in my home pc, and another in my work pc. They both produce identical garbage in my work pc, and they both work spectacular on my home pc. On my work pc, my ol PCI Millennium does just fine.

Has anybody else had sudden AGP port death on their ol 440BX mobo? This one is a Soyo SY-6BB.

What is the average life expectancy of a Celeron 300A -> 450? I think it is about time to upgrade that sucker. There is no telling what will die next.

Hey.. i sometimes have the same garbage with my cel300A@450 on an AbitBX6.
    It happens sometimes when i play Halflife-counterstike. The screen gets 'garbaged'. i thought it was an HL issue, but when i quit HL the garbage stays. Reboot solves it. It only happened 3 times last 2 months or so. i have been running this config since jan 1999
    PIII 1Ghz|AbitSa6R|512mb Kingston|Matrox Parhelia 512 Retail|80gb WD & 30gb IBM 75gxp|Diamond MX300 A3d 2.0|36xcdrom|6x32AopenDVD|Sony DRU500A|Intel Pro 10/100 S|IIyama Vision Master Pro 450 | Celly 300a@450 'server' powered by a G400MAX

Comment

If you've got a problem with video in to your card, you might trash it by allowing it to receive a non-standard signal. I would fix that problem asap.

Comment

Yup, I took out my G400 and put in my ol PCI Millennium 8MB video for the time being. All the PCI cards seem to be working fine on that mobo, but I suspect that they will die in the not too distant future. I went ahead and ordered a new mobo & cpu.

Comment

Working...
        X