Need EPS viewer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need EPS viewer

Not a GHW question, but we don't have a GSW forum ... My father has a German Mac CD containing EPS files that he's unable to view. He E-Mailed me one of the files but my Win98 Adobe Photo Deluxe Business Edition SW (which can open EPS files) didn't recognize the file format. I believe these PostScript files are platform and national language independent so I doubt the problem is that the file came off of a German Mac CD. Anybody know of some downloadable EPS viewers I could try on this file? I'll try some web searching when I get back later today. TIA!
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

I believe this can view eps files. It's called IrfanView. I haven't tried it, but it's the only thing that came back when I search winfiles.com for eps.

-=-=-
    Andrew

[This message has been edited by agallag (edited 06 September 2000).]
    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Oops, looks like that link is dead. I'll keep looking...
      Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Here's another possibility. It's a 30 day demo, but it might work.

http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0...1_103_1.lst.td

-=-=-
        Andrew

Comment

EPS I believe stands for Encapsulated (sp?)Postscript.

I think even Word can read it but CorelDRAW! supports it for sure.

<a href="http://www.acdsystems.com">ACDSee</a> has an EPS Thumbnail decoding plug-in.

Comment

Thanks agallag, IrfanView seems to work. I get a two color b/w half-tone image but my Father got the same thing with some other Mac ShareWare so maybe the image is legit. IrfanView also allowed me to convert the file to JPG. The ImagePrinter ap returned an error when I tried to open the file (invalid ascii/binary mode: 6). Perhaps this is the graphics mode and may have something to do with the lousy image I get with IrfanView.

fds, You're correct on the EPS acronym. My Word97 doesn't support EPS. I may have an old Win3.1 CorelDraw lying around I'll try looking for it along with some 3.1 image converters (HiJack?). I just got done downloading ACDSee and we'll give it a try after taking the dog for a walk. I see they have a 2.2MB Mac version but my Father will have to wait for late night to download on his v.90 modem (sole phone line).
            <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Word97 on my laptop, and Word2000 on my desktop both support eps. Just go to Insert/Picture/From File... and choose Encapsulated PostScript from the drop down box.

-=-=-
              Andrew

Comment

Thanks agallag, I was just trying a File Open: The Word image insert worked as well as the other aps (ACDSee included). BTW, ACDSee is by far the nicest ap of all of them. Problem is, all these aps only showed me the half-tone image. The file type turned out to be EPS with a TIFF preview. Those apps only showed the preview. The ACDSee site pointed me to Ghostview for an EPS plugin. I used Ghostview (GSView) w/ Ghostscript to get the full color EPS image. I now remember I used to use this on Unix at my old job; probably was used due to many of the early developers being from Univ. of Wisc. They have Ghostscript/view for many platforms so I'd give a general recommendation to this ap. Thanks all.

Comment

Ah yes, ACDSee, my favourite image viewer. I didn't recommend that one because I didn't see EPS in the list of file types. It is by far the fastest and most usable image viewer out there. I think they wrecked it with version 3, but I still use ACDSee Classic on a daily basis.

-=-=-
                  Andrew

Comment

Working...
                  X