how's windows millenium?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how's windows millenium?

There must be quite a few people running it now,I just downloaded a copy to TRY,wondering how it is,what's BAD....
    gobrob

I just got my copy the other day, but haven't installed it yet. I'm going to try it out soon. I hear it works almost identical to WIn98, but with some nifty new toys on it.

Jammrock

------------------
    Athlon 650, Biostar board, 128 MB PC133 (Crucial), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, 10/100 NIC, lots of case fans, etc...
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Gobrob - Where did you get a copy?

Comment

I have been using WinME on my new system for over a week now and I really like it. Probably one of the things that I like the most so far is that I have serveral componets sharing IRQs and so far they are all working good together. My G400 and SBLive! are even sharing the same IRQ. I did do a fresh install and not an upgrade.

Joel
        Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
        Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

I've been using it for about a week as well, and it seems nicer (apart from my initial confusion about the menus, I'm sure one of the betas I saw had ones that fade in....)

Anyway, I@ve seen no problems yet, but then again I didn't really have many issues with Win98SE either.

Once I managed to force it to let me see such dangerous things as the contents of the Windows folder, and Control Panel then we got along just fine 8-)

Uberlad

------------------
          -------------------------
          8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
          5 out of 10 referred to me by name.
          -------------------------
          8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
          5 out of 10 referred to me by name.

Comment

Haven't used final yet. Beta1,2 and 3 sucked on my VA503+ K6-2 500. I work for a MS Certified Solution Provider so we should be getting ME final any day now. I should be getting Duron 700 and ABit KT7 any day now too. Muahahahahaha. I'm really interested in the system file protection. ATI TV Wonder software 1.0 routinely trashes Adaptec EzCD Creator 4.02d on my system in 98SE. Ordered the free version 2.0 software from ATI, can't see why they did not make it available for DL.
            [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
            Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
            Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
            Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
            Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

It's a POS 9x OS. Don't waste your time/money. Upgrade to Windows 2000.
              C:\DOS
              C:\DOS\RUN
              \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

Yes, it is a heavily patched / optimized version of Windows 98SE. However, they did fix a BUNCH of poop: it is more stable, it is more user friendly, it is easier to setup internet connections and shares.

The average gamer WILL notice an improvement in framerates and latency on Multiplayer games. (They stole the TCP/IP stack straight off of Win2K, and that friends is one TIGHT stack they have...Win2K blows most OSes away when it comes to TCP/IP packet rates)

Overall, it is a good thing, and maybe too polished on the outside for the enthusiast:

Fortunately, MS didn't weld the hood shut...most tweaks and tricks you used for Win98 are still there...

Win2K is wonderful...with SP-1 it is near-nirvana. But the average Joe can get into a bunch of trouble with it. Troubleshooting Win2K can be VERY difficult. Securing Win2K is easy, IF you know what you are doing. By default, Win2K is pretty wide open. Not all games will work under Win2K, not all software will work under Win2K...an Unstable Win2K is no fun.

But if you have the horsepower, the RAM and the disk space, Win2K is a great idea for the power user.

Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

can someone please tell me where i can get windows ME??

------------------
                  P5A-B AMD K6-266@300
                  Matrox Milleniumm G200 AGP (oh, lets party)
                  Creative SB Awe32 (a classic, superb card)
                  Realtek 8029A NIC Card
                  64meg Ram
                  Ali V agp chipset
                  ICQ UIN: 24730025
                  <font size="1">Gigabyte GA-6VXC7-4X MoBo
                  VIA Apollo Pro 133a (694x/686A) chipset (4x agp, UDMA 66)
                  Celeron II 733 CPU (coppermine 128)
                  128meg (2x64) 133mhz SDRam
                  Matrox Milleniumm G200 AGP 16 mb
                  Creative Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Digital model 0100 (MP3+, Gamer)
                  Quantum LM 30 gig HD 7200 RPM UDMA 66
                  Realtek 8029A NIC Card
                  Optiquest V775 17" Monitor
                  Actima 36X CD-Rom
                  Advansys 510 SCSI Card (ISA, but good enuf for my burner)
                  Yamaha 6416 CD-RW
                  Windows 2000 (primary)
                  Slackware Linux 9.0(secondary/emergency)</font>

Comment

You might be able to find it on some warez site but then you won't know for sure what version you have, or you can wait until it is officially released on Septmeber 14 and pick it up at your local computer, or you could be lucky enough like I was to get a copy through your's or someone else's companies OEM providers.

Joel
                    Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                    Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

I had a chance to try it out just recently. Seems like an improved version of Win98. I *may* use it for games if something doesn't run on Win2k. Win2k is just a lot better.. with the exceptions of a few bugs here and there.

------------------
                      P60-120Thz, 256Tb ram, 27.5Pb 225000 RPM HD, 142" .001 dot pitch monitor @ 30720x23040x64, Matrox G24000 w/512Gb, SB UltraLive2, DX120 beta, Win2112 SP4. Hey -- beta testers have their advantages...
                      P60-120Thz, 256Tb ram, 27.5Pb 225000 RPM HD, 142" .001 dot pitch monitor @ 30720x23040x64, Matrox G24000 w/512Gb, SB UltraLive2, DX120 beta, Win2112 SP4. Hey -- beta testers have their advantages...

Comment

Win2k is a great os, if you don't want to use any old peripherals.It's very stable but I can't use my scanner,vid capture card, or about half of my software(mostly kids games and norton2000!)
                        Back to winME,install was seemless,retained all my old settings,seems to maybe launch some apps a bit faster(adaptec ezcd,dreamweaver)Haven't gamed with it though...oh and it boots faster!
                        Sorry you're on your own to find a copy,like to try before I buy..glad I did with Win2K!

Comment

I've been dual-booting with WinMe/2K for a few months now (beta's of Me, yes). I'm about to give Win2K the flick as I honestly don't see any advantage. WinMe is far more stable than Win98SE, and although it lacks some of the power user controls of Win2K it's good enough to work on. OpenGL perf in apps is pretty much on par with 2K, games, well, I can't see any diff from Win98, but benchmarks might show some differences.

I'd honestly recommend it to anyone, I reckon it's the best consumer OS MS has released, at least to the public anyway!

Just my 2.2c (inc 10% GST)
                          Look, I know you think the world of me, that's understandable, you're only human, but it's not nice to call somebody "Vain"!

Comment

god, listen to me, what am I??? a friggin MS salesperson? hell no

forget what I said, make up your own mind
                            Look, I know you think the world of me, that's understandable, you're only human, but it's not nice to call somebody "Vain"!

Comment

I don't know how anyone can say that Win ME is a POS Win9x ripoff or something like that, but for that he/she didn't even test it and just wanted to say you had to use Win2k.

I've had WinME final on my PC for the past month, and I really like it very much. No crashes that screwed up my system yet. No more 16-bit Windows in the background. If you still have a DOS environment in the background (so a command.com on the root of the drive), you just didn't install it right. I don't have a DOS environment anymore, did the upgrade from Win98, and okay, some programs don't work anymore (network software for instance), but I don't really miss them. WinME is network software on its own.

Want to make a backup of the system? Why? Why don't you make a snapshot of the system, so if you screw something up, you can go back to the old system within 5 minutes !! Try that with a backup

And most of the games still work. Only the really old DOS games, which really need a DOS environment will cease to work. The rest runs perfectly from a Windows DOS box.

It's fast in booting up as well. No more waiting for all those drivers to load.

Yes, I like WinME. And Win2k? I'll be starting my internal Win2k MCSE study this Monday, so I'll let you know what I think about it in about a week or two

Jord.

Edit: I've done some Windows Media Player 7.0 testing, with the download version in Win98, and the same version (and size!!!) in WinME, but the WinME version is way better !! More Visualization options, more skins, better equalizer etc. Just wondering why the Win98 version didn't have these options
                              /Edit:

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 30 August 2000).]
                              Jordâ„¢

Comment

Working...
                              X