overclocking celeron 500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overclocking celeron 500

well i dont have one yet.. but i wonder how high i can get my celeron 500 to? also, how good is <a href=http://www.soyousa.com/sy6iza.html>this</a> motherboard? i see this motherboard and a celeron 500 for $150. is that a good price or could i find better?
    AMD Athlon K7 750MHz
    Asus K7V Motherboard
    384MB PC-100 SDRAM
    20GB Maxtor 7200RPM Hard Drive
    30GB Maxtor 5400RPM Hard Drive
    Generic DVD-ROM
    IDE-CD ReWritable-2x2x6x
    SB Live Value
    Matrox Millenium G400 32MB
    SMC EZ Card 10/100 (SMC1211TX) (Network Card To Cable Modem)
    3Com EtherLink III ISA (3C509b-TPO) (Network Card To Network Bridge)
    Windows ME
    6.20 G400 Drivers

I think that'll be a good board but not the best for overclocking - maybe get a S1 board with a Slocket or Abit's BX133 RAID.

A Celeron 500 PPGA isn't going to go much higher. FCPGAs are the better choice for overclockering.

Paul.
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

I agree with Paul. The odds of your overclocking a Celeron with the old Medicino core a whole lot higher than 500 MHz are pretty slim. The newer Celerons, with Coppermine cores, are much more amenable to overclocking.

That motherboard uses the old Socket 370 PPGA form factor, so your upgrade path will be zero, and you'll probably end up spending more money in the long run. Also, your motherboard is probably the wrong place to cut corners. I think you should get the best board you can afford.

Paul
      paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Bad board - it's a ZX based board. ZX is a BX with its nutz cut off, it is ment for 66 mhz only. Look for a BX based board and shoot for a 566 celery2 if you want the best bang for the buck. I have 2 500s running here and really not all that happy with them. The 566's OC better. But even if you stay with the 500 mate it with a BX board (Abit or Asus are my personal fav's)

A side note - The ZX chipset was designed as a low end (cheep) solution for the OEM market (like HP small biz and home consumer computers). Although the ability is there to get to the higher mhz it was not intended to do such(might have stability issues). In the end Abit and Asus are both known for there OC ability and stability.

Good luck...

Jeff

------------------
        Remember when naps were a bad thing?

-------------------------------
        You stop learning when you are die, and some people just don't know the're dead yet!
        -------------------------------
        ABIT BP6 - 2 x Celeron 500 - 256MB Ram - MX300 - 3Com 509c - 3com 905tx - Creative PC DVD 6x - G400 DH - DSL (True Love Here) - Win98 se - Win 2000 pro

[This message has been edited by Duty (edited 04 September 2000).]
        -We stop learning when We die, and some
        people just don't know They're dead yet!

Member of the COC!
        Minister of Confused Knightly Defence (MCKD)

Food for thought...
        - Remember when naps were a bad thing?
        - Remember 3 is the magic number....

Comment

Remember when naps were a bad thing?
          Nope...
          Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Working...
          X