T-Bird Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-Bird Questions

I'm thinking of upgrading my CPU, and first I thought I'd get a AClassic while they are still availible, since I don't want to change my system until the next gen CPU's are out.

However, I had the luck of stumbling over a SlotA TBird, so I started doing some poking around about how it would perform in my system.

I was happy to learn that I still can use my old GFD, and that they work with Irongate chips. However, after reading about 2000 reviews and tests, I had still not found ONE that tried the TBird with an MSI-6167 (which I have) and that made me a little nervous.

I called MSI-****ING-DICKHEAD support in Germany, but those guys can't even spell idiot in english, so it's kinda hard to rely on anything they're saying.

I THINK they said it should work OK up to 1ghz without any mods at all.

Is this true? Is there anything else I have to keep in mind?

Cheers!

------------------
    Athlon 500@650 Rock Stable (500 Core, 4ns)/MSI 6167/128mb/7200rpm UD66/SB128/G400Max/Win98/Win2k/RH6.2/Be5
    Athlon 800@1GHz/MSI 6167/256mb/7200rpm UD66/SB128/G400Max/Win98/Win2k/RH6.2/Be5

I did a fair bit of testing of a 700 MHz Slot A TBird and an MSI K7 Pro (MSI 6195), which uses the AMD 750 chipset. I believe it's an update of your board. It was a little slower than the same CPU on a VIA KX133-based board, but not as much as I was expecting, given the slower memory bus. I'm not sure if you can enable superbypass, so that might effect performance somewhat.

You'll probably want to update your BIOS.

You might want to check out AMD Zone's BBS. They have had extensive discussions about Slot A Tbird/motherboard compatibility issues.

http://www.amdzone.com/dev/

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Working...
    X