Weird CD-ROM problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird CD-ROM problem.

I'm thinking this must be a power supply issue, though at this point I'm not seeing exactly how..

I have a generic AT case powering my dinosaur P133, just the basics in the system, PCI 4MB, PCI modem, PCI soundcard, HD, CD-rom, floppy, that's it. Scanner and printer on the parallel port.

The problem happens just after I've finished installing a program with tons of files that takes forever to install. For instance, happened after I installed Flight Simulator 98, then just tonight after I installed Rayman2. It's happened on three separate CD-rom drives, all on this same system, first a Goldstar, then a Affrey, now my Kenwood 42X.

The drive will spin up immediately on power up and make a very loud vibration which can be felt through the entire case, and will not stop this racket until I either open the drawer or just let it set for several minutes in Windows. I tried to run the game I just installed, but the CD rom just sat and spun and vibrated like crazy and didn't access anything, then I got an error. Not saying the game would actually work, given my video card, but it sure as heck isn't going to work with a malfunctioning CD drive.

However, I can put in either Need for Speed 2 or Diablo, and the CD drive works fine! I am really at a loss here... Also, when it's doing this crazy vibration thing, I'll here it spin up and then make a noise as if it suddenly slammed to a stop, then it will immediately spin back up again, and repeat this process until the program loads or I get an error. Nice eh? Again, this exact same problem has happened on all three CD drives..

I sure hope this problem doesn't follow my CD to my new system, but as it doesn't seem to be specific to one drive, I'd think not, and everything but the CD, floppy, modem, and sound card will be brand new.

Aaron

I'll here it spin up and then make a noise as if it suddenly slammed to a stop, then it will immediately spin back
    up again, and repeat this process until the program loads or I get an error.
    i have the exact same problem....look here http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum3/HTML/002425.html

maybe what mark f is saying is correct... we should try to connect it to secondary master...

btw, what brand is it.. is it actima??

------------------
    P5A-B AMD K6-266@300
    Matrox Milleniumm G200 AGP (oh, lets party)
    Creative SB Awe32 (a classic, superb card)
    Realtek 8029A NIC Card
    64meg Ram
    Ali V agp chipset
    ICQ UIN: 24730025
    <font size="1">Gigabyte GA-6VXC7-4X MoBo
    VIA Apollo Pro 133a (694x/686A) chipset (4x agp, UDMA 66)
    Celeron II 733 CPU (coppermine 128)
    128meg (2x64) 133mhz SDRam
    Matrox Milleniumm G200 AGP 16 mb
    Creative Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Digital model 0100 (MP3+, Gamer)
    Quantum LM 30 gig HD 7200 RPM UDMA 66
    Realtek 8029A NIC Card
    Optiquest V775 17" Monitor
    Actima 36X CD-Rom
    Advansys 510 SCSI Card (ISA, but good enuf for my burner)
    Yamaha 6416 CD-RW
    Windows 2000 (primary)
    Slackware Linux 9.0(secondary/emergency)</font>

Comment

Do you use CD-R's by any chance? Do the CDs come out scratched? Maybe your CD-drives don't like a particular brand of CD-R's.

What you could try is to set Supplemental Cache Size to minimal and set the Optimize Access Pattern to no read ahead.

(Properties of My Computer, Performance, File System, CD-ROM)

Jord.
      Jordâ„¢

Comment

I've experienced this problem before. When it happened to me, it turned out to be the power connector to the CD-ROM. I would jiggle it and it would spin up/spin down. It was some kind of faulty wiring. Hope this helps.

Dave
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

i have tried several settings with cd cache size.. im 100% sure its some kinda hardware or connection issue here...

actually... it happens with random cd's... i get this problem with THE ORIGINAL cd of nba live 99... the original straight from the box... thats the worst one yet.. it suddenly spins up SOO loud.. then goes crack and stops.. then a couple of secs later it spins up again...

but it is so loud it shakes my whole computer...

------------------
          P5A-B AMD K6-266@300
          Realtek 8029A NIC Card
          64meg Ram
          Ali V agp chipset
          Realtek 8029A NIC Card
          Actima 36X CD-Rom
          Yamaha 6416 CD-RW
          Windows 2000 (primary)

Comment

jorden, helevitia, none of those helped.. any other suggestions....

i even put it in master... but still i get problems..

------------------
            P5A-B AMD K6-266@300
            Realtek 8029A NIC Card
            64meg Ram
            Ali V agp chipset
            Realtek 8029A NIC Card
            Actima 36X CD-Rom
            Yamaha 6416 CD-RW
            Windows 2000 (primary)

Comment

Oh, forgot to mention my drive is the secondary master all by itself. It's a Kenwood 42X. It's a UDMA drive, but as I have Windoze 95A, I can't enable UDMA. But the previous two drives were not UDMA and had the exact same problem. It happened again while installing the drivers for my new monitor! I'm thinking maybe the kind or age of disk does make a difference. It's only happened on programs which are a year old or newer. I don't use CD-Rs myself, but maybe the ones in the box are...

Aaron

Comment

Aaron: You might want to test the CD-drives in another PC, if you have that chance. If the other PC doesn't show these problems, it's definitely NOT your CD-drive

Nehal: Your drive is skipping, right? It might be a problem with the cache (as said above and you said it isn't ) or with your DirectX version (or missing file). Also, skipping might be due to dirty or scratched CDs.

Both: Have you tried setting a bigger Windows swap file? Also: When it isn't the drive, try changing the IDE cable !! You might have a faulty IDE cable. And check the pins of the connector at the back of the CD-drive and on the mobo, aren't any of them bend?

Jord.
                Jordâ„¢

Comment

Kenwood 42X

Those drives had some problems. Try to check their web site. I beleive they are offering (or did) to trade out drives that are reported to have problems.

Mark F.

------------------
                  OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
                  and burped out a movie
                  Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
                  --------------------------------------------------
                  OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
                  and burped out a movie

Comment

This sounds like you have a software issue. What motherboard do you have? Or at least what chipset is it?

Rags

Comment

Rags - Not sure which chipset I have, or even which motherboard! (got it free from my brother, won't really be sorry to see it go, it's Matsonic or Magitronic or something like that...)

Mark F - Thanks for the tip on possible problems with the Kenwood drive, I'll definitely check into that! Might be a good reason to trade up to the 72X..

Aaron

Comment

That's not a good sign if you don't know which motherboard you have. You need to find out, and find out which chipset it has. Then you need to goto that chipset mfr's website and see if there is any info regarding these issues. Usually when you can't get IDE devices to work, you simply need the proper chipset drivers, or a bios upgrade.

Rags

Comment

rags, i think you solved my problem, i got ide drivers for my ali V chipset, and it helped the speed.... also, when it detected my hard drive, it detected it as DMA, so my hd is going slightly faster too... thx alot...

i dunno about aaroncgi though...

------------------
                          P5A-B AMD K6-266@300
                          Realtek 8029A NIC Card
                          64meg Ram
                          Ali V agp chipset
                          Realtek 8029A NIC Card
                          Actima 36X CD-Rom
                          Yamaha 6416 CD-RW
                          Windows 2000 (primary)

Comment

My new computer parts arrived yesterday and today, so I am saying goodbye to the old case and motherboard anyhow! It is an Intel chipset board, but it's a 437VX if I read it right! Sounds OLD to me... Lots of crud built up inside the case, though it did have at least a 250w PS, same as my new one (though the new one is on the Athlon approved list at least).

Hopefully there won't be any CD issues with my new system, certainly hope not, as I expect Windows 98 may take a lot of CD usage to install! I sent an email to Kenwood Tech Support a couple days ago, no response yet...

Aaron

Comment

From what I understand, Kenwood settled a class action lawsuit with 40x40 drive owners. The details are here:

http://www.kenwoodtech.com/40xcdroms...ent/index.html

I don't think it applies to the 42X drive.

Paul
                              paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Working...
                              X