X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got my A7V and t-bird 700 :)

I'm going to instll it now. I'll post back later when I'm done

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

"It was a long and stormy night..."

Things didn't go well well at first. Mostly because I didn't want to re-format my hdd. Windows recognized everything except for any PCI cards. I tried for hours to figure out a way to get it to work, but no go. It kept complaining that my BIOS didn't assign an IRQ to any of the cards and therefore disabled the devices. I finally said screw it and re-formatted. Problem solved.

Since I've re-formatted I've had nothing but fun loving stability. This board is very stable. I haven't benchmarked anything yet, but I'll let you know when I do.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot the most important thing, The A7V came with dip switches to overclock the chip and the AMD's L1 bridges are not cut, I repeat, are not cut. So this means I have ahead start towards O/C'ing.

Dave

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

good luck overclocking, you lucky bastard! ;-)

Comment

Well, I've got some really great news and some questions. First off, good news:

I can overclock the CPU with just the dipswitches. I'm not sure how I ended up with this golden chip and mobo but I'm not complaining It looks like it's a week 21 chip just in case someone is looking.
        Now for the questions:

Let me start off by saying that I've never gotten too deeply into overclocking in the past. Usually, I'd do it for fun and only leave it for a couple of days or so just to see what happens. I now want to dive in head first and see what I can do.

I initially just set the dip switches to 750 and left the core voltage @ 1.75(default) and booted up. To my astonishment, it booted into windows. About 10 seconds into windows, the computer locked. I then uped the voltage to 1.8 and tried again, smae results. I went back down to 700 and default core voltage and everything is stable again. What am I doing wrong? I have adequate cooling and I barely inched up the frequency. Also, should I be using thermal paste? Why or why not? PCProbe says my cpu temp is 29C which seems very low to me. Opinions please.

Dave

Comment

Congrats!
          Make sure the jen jumpers are set to jumper mode as opposed to jumper free.
          They should be set to pins 1-2.
          Double check all jumpers.
          Make sure heatsink is making good contact with the cpu.(Although your temp looks okay)
          Might I ask where you purchased the board?
          Good luck!

Comment

Alfie,

Thanks for the info. I purchased the board and CPU from Atacom.

http://www.atacom.com

BTW-So far, if you get the Asus without sound, it should have the dip swithces on it. All sound imbedded A7V's do not have dip switches.

I'll double check all of my setings, heatsiks, fan's etc...

One last question(for now), the CPU temp above is idle. When I run Seti, the CPU temp goes up to 45C. Is this normal? I know the CPU will get hotter, but what is considered too hot?

Dave

[This message has been edited by Helevitia (edited 22 July 2000).]

Comment

Dave, is there at least a thermal pad between the heatsink and chip?

There will be extremely small pockets between the CPU and heatsink. A thermal pad, or better still, thermal grease will fill those gaps. Without either, the heatsink may not make proper contact with the the chip and isn't as effective. It can be a big problem.

Grease, when properly applied, is better than the pad. Some greases are better than others as well.

I'm not sure if the TBird has a thermal diode like the PIII. With a PIII, and a motherboard that supports this feature (Some VIA Apollo Pro 133A's do and maybe some i815e's as well), a 45C reading off the chip is fine. If it doesn't support this feature, the reading is probably being taken from somewhere *near* the chip, like the heatsink, and you're probably running hot.

Paul
              paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 23 July 2000).]

Comment

Congrats Dave,
                I'm jealous. Definitely use thermal paste. It sqeezes out the air between the CPU and heat sink. Air is a great insulator so the heat can't flow to the sink. On the T-bird it looks like it really only needs it on the central processor chip and nothing else.

One of the articles at either AMDZone or Ace's led to an article about overclocking an A7V which I think said they were very successful overclock the FSB up to 133 using the jumpers, but only got 107Mhz when using the bios soft setup. I'll see if I can find it again and post a link.

RAB
                AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

Sorry, the article was about the older K7V. But the same principals might apply. Look here: http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/asus_k7v.shtml

RAB
                  AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

If your Thunderbird won't make it above 700, that's not impossible, but it is unfortunate. I haven't heard anything about yield quality on the TB's, but running a complicated core plus 256kb of L2 and 128kb of L1 at full speed on the same die does tend to cut down OC'ing abilities just a little.

I don't think I need to back it up, but if I do, my lab's latest CPU has 2.25MB of full-speed on-die cache, so we've had our share if problems to conquer.
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

What heatsink are you using?
                      Thermal paste is a big help.
                      The Artic silver compound gets a #1 rating.
                      Available here: http://www.coolerguys.com/CPUCOOL/access.htm

If you don't want to spend the extra,
                      Radio Shack's compound hit middle of the pack!
                      The problems your encountering may be heat related,so concentrate there.
                      Make sure the heatsink you have, has no feet on the bottom,etc.
                      PS.Thank's for the link!

[This message has been edited by Alfie (edited 23 July 2000).]

Comment

Just a follow up.
                        IF COOLING IS GOOD!
                        Set voltage to 1.85(all Tbirds and Durons survive this setting)
                        The 6 dipswitches are set as follows 1 is on,0 off.)
                        900=110011
                        950=010011
                        It appears as though on all settings,4 and 5 are left on.(As 1=0 2=1 3=2,etc.)Meaning the fifth and sixth dip switches are on.
                        Haven't looked at the new manual and don't know if these settings correlate with it,but apparently these are correct.

Comment

First off, thanks a bunch everyone for all of your suggestions. They definitely helped me build a better computer.

Well, I got my puter up to 700@857. I haven't tried to go beyond that yet because I'm still trying to fine tune the cooling and trying to understand why I am having some of the problems I'm having. There are so many memory settings in the BIOS, I don't know where to begin. Hopefully, tweak3d or someone will post a 'how to' guide for these newer BIOS settings.
                          A couple of wierd things I've noticed so far is:

1. DirectCD(from Adaptec CD Creator 3.5) seems to have something to do with teh stability of my computer when overclocked. If I start up with directCD running, my computer locks up half the time. If I don't, everything is fine.

2. I was getting AGP2x, but now I'm only getting AGP1x(i dont have the 4x g400).

3. Before I raised my voltage, my BIOS would tell me that I as having DRAM bus timing issues and would default the DRAM back to 100MHz. Since raising the core voltage, I haven't seen this problem.

ok, now for some other questions, hope you guys don't mind me continuing to pick your brains:

1. When plaing a game or seti, my chip goes as high as 47C. Should I be worried?

2. Why does my computer say 857MHz instead of 850MHz?(I'm thinking a BIOS setting, but everything, well alomst, is at default).

3. My 3DMark2k score seems low. Is this because of AGP1x?

2960 @ 857MHz

Sorry again for the long post.

Dave

Comment

Ok, I'm afraid. either the new version of Sisoft Sandra is lying or I did something terribly wrong in my BIOS. It claims that my bus speed for my RAM is 152MHz! and my PCIbus is at 55MHz! Holy Sheep dip! Can someone please download the new version of Sandra and tell me what you get. I was going ot post pics, but my webpage appears to be down. I'll post them soon. Just in case it comes back up, the address is:

http://members.home.net/dhilliar/results.htm

Dave

Comment

Dave, ICQ me
                              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X