DVDrom problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVDrom problem

I have a Pioneer DVD-115 (the 16x) when I put a CD/DVD in it it work's well... but after a while I get blue screens saying that the disk isn't in drive. Ex. I play Diablo 2 on the CD after about 30mins. I get blue screen when the game tries to read on the disk. Also, is it really normal that a DVDrom drive get hot? After 30mins. the drive is untouchable, so hot that the case is more than warm. Does this means that the drive is defective? Oh, and a last thing.... when I try to remove the CSS of a DVD, my system hang.... any solution?
    P3-667@810 retail, Asus CUSL2-C, 2*128 mb PC-133(generic), G400DH 16mb, SBLive value, HollyWood+, 1*Realtek 8029(AS) and 1*Realtek 8039C, Quantum 30g, Pioneer DVD-115f

No it's not normal for your DVD Drive to get THAT hot. My Pioneer DVD 103 (6x DVD) doesn't even get near luke warm, and my system is from bits from the past four years. (Old tech in other words.) And crammed full of cards and drives run on an old Power Supply Unit. Try some of the following, they may help...

Check if there's a loose connection from the power supply line to your drive.

Check if your Power Supply Unit has enough juice. (You aren't trying to run 16 SCSI 160 HD in RAID configs along with that DVD Drive are you? )

Check you have adequate cooling in your system.

If you can try your DVD Drive in another system. (Or just clean out your one except for the DVD and boot Drive). If it still overheats, then send it back for exchange or refund.

Comment

Thanks for your quick reply. Well, I wasn't beleving that it actually could be normal that it create so much heat. I'm running this drive on a ATA/66 adaptor card in stand alone (nothing else on that same port), I have 1 HD on the other port, nothing else. For the power line, it seem ok. My system is supposed to have enough cooling my probe say's the temp is 34C inside the case. Also this drive doesn't need any cleaning it's brand new about 2months old. I'm gonna try it in an other PC and see what happends.

I used to have the same drive that you have the 6x.... but it blew up and the only way for me to have an other was to take the 16x.
      P3-667@810 retail, Asus CUSL2-C, 2*128 mb PC-133(generic), G400DH 16mb, SBLive value, HollyWood+, 1*Realtek 8029(AS) and 1*Realtek 8039C, Quantum 30g, Pioneer DVD-115f

Comment

My 16x slot-loading Pionner DVD drive gets nice and toasty too while playing DVD's, but then again it is often 95+ degrees in the room to begin with. I wouldn't say that it gets too hot to touch though.

Comment

I have the DVD-115, and yes the CDs/DVDs do get pretty hot. I've used DeCSS just fine.
          Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
          Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

TnT

I think spazm_1999 meant the actual case (not the CD/DVD) is getting pretty hot (from the description anyway). Now that doesn't sound normal to me. CD's and DVD's, yes even my old 32x CDROM could heat them up. But not the case.

Anyway, any luck spazm_1999 with the drive test?

Comment

I think only TnT got it right.... maybe I didn't explain correctly.... my CD/DVD drive get's relly hot... hotter than my CPU!! and this make my tower case hot... about 10C over the normal case temp when there's no disk in my CD/DVD.

/*
              Anyway, any luck spazm_1999 with the drive test?
              */
              I haven't got time for that yesterday... I'll do this tonight when I'll be back at home... damn school.

Comment

I ran my DVD drive in my brother's computer.... didn't help much to get an idea since it didn't even spin to the max speed. Then I tried something else, I took a old AT power supply and put my drive on it (nothing else). I ran a DVD for 10min on it got warm, and it was still heating.... I don't think it's the power supply nor the powerline.

Comment

Hey, spazm_1999, do you have the manual for your DVD Drive? Check the drives operating parameters, if it has a higher operating temperature than the temperature your getting, then it should be fine. Otherwise contact Pioneer about it.

If you haven't got the manual, then you might try the US Site for Pioneer to see if they've got the details, as I couldn't find the table in the European site. Good Luck!

Comment

I'm not sure about what you meant about that... anyway my room temp is about 28C (27C right now.... somethimes it goes up to 31-32C) himidity is 54% can go up to 77%.

My DVD specs aren't listed on pioneerusa.com took the DVD113
                    Temperature 5 to 45ºC (within 10ºC/hour deviation)
                    Humidity 5 to 85% (below 10%/hour deviation)

So if I understand, it's supposed to work perfectly.... what about my blue screens stating that the disk isn't in drive when you play a game or play a DVD?

Comment

Working...
                    X