Linksys Router Loosing Connection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linksys Router Loosing Connection?

I am having trouble with periodically loosing my DSL connection (anywhere from once a day to once an hour). I found mention of this type of problem on:
    http://www.everythingdsl.com/

Anyone else experiencing this problem? Better yet, anyone solve it? See below.

Here is the communication:

UPDATE to July 7 review - having problem with the Router, August 7, 2000
    Reviewer: Peter Samson

This is an update to a review I wrote on July 7. Just wanted readers to be aware...

I've experienced a problem with the Router (Linksys BEFSR41) and am working with Linksys Technical Support to fix it (and ultimately get it resolved/patch via a firmware upgrade). The Router periodically freezes, loses the DSL connection, and doesn't return to normal operation for 5-10 minutes. Linksys tech support has been good about working with me on this and they think the Router is somehow losing the Subnet mask.

I'm using GTE/Verizon DSL and PPPoE. Nothing complicated beyond that. GTE/Verizon itself is pathetic for DSL support, but the current problem does indeed seem to be the related to the Linksys Router.

I still think the Router is a great purchase. Just need to get this problem resolved...

Peter

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 27 August 2000).]

Brian,
    What do want to bet your ISP is timing out
    your PPPoE connection depending on load.
    Try setting the router to auto connect and give it a 1 hr timeout.
    chuck

Does pressing Reset on the router re-connect you?
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Comment

I seem to be experiencing the same problem. I don't use PPPoe or any special settings. I used to think that it was Roadrunner, but I've narrowed it down to the router.

To solve the problem, I just reset the router or unplug/plug it.

Comment

Chuck - Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry if I don't rapidly respond to comments, but I am unable to predict how long my connection will last.

In answer to your questions and comments:

I doubt it is a timing-out issue since I can be actively switching from site to site and have the connection die on me. In this case the inactivity is just seconds.

In order to reset the connection with any degree of certainty, I have to shut off all the computers and modem, switch on the modem, reset the router, turn on a computer and program the firmware (PPPoE and DHCP), turn off the computer, recycle the modem power, and then turn on the computers.

Isochar - Only reseting the router never gives me back the connection (In my case, reseting the router makes me redefine the PPPoE username and password, as well as setting the DHCP parameter for number of computers).

I'm receptive to any other ideas...

I think it's interesting that Peter puts a "5 to 10 minute" time limit on the outage. I wonder how this works.

Brian

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 27 August 2000).]

Comment

Isochar - What firmware version are you running? I'm wondering if the 1.33 beta firmware might be worth trying. I am running 1.30.

Comment

1.33beta here.

Always on cable modem, no PPPoE.

No loss of connection here. But with my RoadRunner connection I have been seeing page loads 'stall' sometimes for a few seconds. I was reapeatadly pinging my ISP to see what the connection was doing and noticesed occasonal lost packets. That might have something to do with it. ie the packet is lost, has to be requested and recent; this looks like a short pause.

As to why it might pause for 5-10 mins. for some; might be that it's lost it's subnet or IP, and it's refreshed in that 5-10 min period.

Mark F.

------------------
            OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
            and burped out a movie

[This message has been edited by Mark F (edited 27 August 2000).]
            Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
            --------------------------------------------------
            and burped out a movie

Comment

I'm on 1.33b also. No problems.
              Try flashing up to 1.33b.
              chuck
              Chuck
              秋音的爸爸

Comment

OK, I'll try the beta firmware. I was going to wait for its arrival on the Linksys website to justify its legitimacy.

Thanks for the additional feedback.

Although, I'm waiting to see what firmware isochar is running. Since he's also getting this problem. If he has 1.33B, then I won't bother. Won't be a good bet in that case. If he doen't respond soon, I may go for it.

Comment

Can anyone explain what 'IPSec Passthru' is to me?

Mark F.

------------------
                  and burped out a movie
                  Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
                  --------------------------------------------------
                  and burped out a movie

Comment

I don't know, but it sounds undesirable.

Anyway, I installed the 1.33B firmware, so far, so good.

Comment

Found out the 1.33B firmware had no effect on the stability of my connection.

Hope they solve this issue if it is a router issue, that is.

Comment

Lost my patience with the constant resetting of the router. It's going to the box until I can find other ideas or they come up with new firmware which claims to solve this problem. With the standard BANet software, I don't get disconnected very often.

Pleae submit ideas for alternative fixes if you come up with any. It doesn't take long to test.

Comment

Working...
                        X