Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CPU voltage, how do I know if it's to high ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU voltage, how do I know if it's to high ?

I put my 650 Coppermine at 1.85V and upped the fsb to 138 (650@900 Mhz ). I ran the default benchmark in 3DMark 2000 a few times (3559 score) and played DarkReign 2 for about 2 hours without a crash.

At 1.70V and 1.75V it would crash when it gets to the CPU test in 3DMark. At 1.80V it completes the 3DMark test but locks in some games after a certain time. At 1.85V all seems to be fine for now

If I try to raise the voltage to 1.90V or more how will it react ?

1.85 should be okay, just make sure you have good cooling. The coppermines are extremely sensitive to heat. Attention to good cooling can go a long ways to preserving you chip, especially when bumping up the voltage.

Rags

Comment

Usually you don't want to run the CPU more than .2V over it's rated voltage for extended time.

For most CuMines you should be able to safely run whatever voltage Intel had to use to get them running at 1GHz or 1.13GHZ, if they are different.

Mark F.

------------------
      OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
      and burped out a movie
      Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
      --------------------------------------------------
      and burped out a movie

Comment

The problem is that I don't have good cooling. I have two 5000 rpm fans mounted on a not so big heatsink. Removing the case cover seemed to help (now I have to watch out for cat intrusion ).
        The CPU temp won't go over 41, am I safe ?

(tomorrow starts another week of searching for the 700 with the cB0 stepping )

Comment

Invest a little money into a good cooler. Paul (ALBPM) can show you were to get good coolers for a decent price. 30-40 bucks is not too much for a good cooler.

Rags

Comment

Hey Admiral, If your getting another SECC2 or Slot processor I recommend the Alpha P3125 and if your not sensitive to loud fan noise get a couple of the Delta 60mm, 3800 CFM fans.
            They are 12v fans and it is recommended that you get a couple 3 pin to 4 pin adapter cables and run them off your power supply instead of the 3 pin connectors on the mother board. They have been known to burn out the mother board 3 pin fan connectors.
            I get most of my cooling stuff from 2Cooltek . I also recommend the Arctic Siver thermal paste.
            http://www.2cooltek.com/index.html

Paul
            "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

I would invest in a good cooler if I could find one here. Ordering one online could be a problem, don't have a credit card and don't live in the US.
              My best chance is to ask my cousin in DC to send me one.

Comment

Then you could ask him to send you a CBo, all at the same time .

If you post were you are from maybe someone would know where you could get 'good stuff' closer.

Mark F.

------------------
                and burped out a movie
                Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
                --------------------------------------------------
                and burped out a movie

Comment

Working...
                X