ACPI in Windows ME?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACPI in Windows ME?

Win98 took me ages to get it going and Win2k was ever so slightly quicker.

Anyone know how to get ACPI working in WinME?

Thanks,

Paul.

------------------
    Pace3000 Network:
    Arena | P3K | TechSupport | Portal
    Join SETI@MURC!
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Are you using 'setup/pj' to force detection of ACPI during installation?

Comment

Nope - I wasn't sure if it would still be needed in ME - rather than reinstall a few times I thought I'd ask - thanks!

Paul.

------------------
      Pace3000 Network:
      Arena | P3K | TechSupport | Portal
      Join SETI@MURC! | Boost SETI@MURC! (coming soon to the 'Arena' site)
      Meet Jasmine.

Comment

Hey Paul, before you go through all the hassle of re-installing try dropping this into the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr ent Version\Detect

Create a new string value called "ACPIOption" and set it equal to 1.

If all goes well, you can run hardware detection in the control panel, and ACPI should be detected.

[This message has been edited by Rik (edited 21 August 2000).]

Comment

Ofcourse, you could've installed Win98 fresh, then gotten the ACPI installed, then install Win ME over Win98 using ACPI and be home free

Errrm, to say, that's how I did it. And according to some sources, we still have to watch out, for Win ME might go "hey, a reboot is a good thing right now", because of this stupid ACPI thingy

Jord.
          Jordâ„¢

Comment

I noticed on a friend's computer that Win98 automatically detected ACPI on his Intel 810 chipset M/B.Then why doesn't it happen on i440ZX/BX M/B's??
            Anyway,what advantage would ACPI offer??
            Thanks
            Ovi

Comment

Jord: I'd much rather have a clean install of Me than over 98 - and with ACPI installation as flaky as it is Me might even decide to remove it!

And the 'Reboot Now' feature - is that part of OnNow?

Ovi: ACPI offers better power management - I think APM is considered legacy so ACPI will be the way forward for OnNow etc. ACPI also offers more features (suspend to ram and suspend to disk) although I don't know how well Me supports all the features - in Win98 ACPI wasn't any 'better' from the power management side of things - but was much more stable and slightly faster.

Win2k is lovely with ACPI - you can be halfway through playing an MP3 - press the power switch to hibernate (suspend to disk) and come back later and the machine will boot up and play the song from where you left it. AFAIK, hibernate is not in Win98 and I doubt it is in Me.

Paul.

------------------
              Pace3000 Network: (early stages)
              Arena | Seti | P3K | TechSupport | Portal
              Matrox Users / SETI@MURC
              Join the team! | Crunch faster! | View the stats!
              Meet Jasmine.

Comment

ACPI has been discussed somewhat before, so here's a synopsis.

ACPI=Advanced Configuration and Power Interface.

The setup info (w9xsetup.bin/setup.sif) for Win98FE/SE/ME and Win2K containa a "good ACPI bios list". This list consists of OEM models (IBM blabla, Compaq yaddayadda etc.), that are tested and approved working with ACPI.

If your computer isn't on this list (if you built it yourself, you know it isn't) then the bios date is the deciding factor whether Windows will try to detect ACPI.
                Microsoft gathered that by 1/1 2000 motherboard manufacturers would have gotten it right, and hence it would be safe to detect ACPI.

1. If you get ACPI and don't want it.
                Win98/SE/ME: setup /p i
                Win2K: F5 early in setup to choose machine type (at the same time as F6 for additional controllers).

2. If you don't get ACPI and want it.
                Win98/SE/ME: setup /p j
                Win2K: F5.

Some additional facts:
                Win98 doesn't support hibernation on FAT32 (not sure of SE and ME).
                emu10k1.vxd 4.11.01.0711 (from LiveWare drivers 05.05.2000) and earlier doesn't support hibernation.

phew

------------------
                Join the MURC SETI team!
                View the exciting stats
                P5B Deluxe, C2D E6600, Scythe Ninja, G.Skill 2GBHX
                Raptor 150x3, Plextor PX-760SA, X-Fi Elite, 7900GT, 21" CM813ET Plus, CM Stacker

Comment

Hibernate does work better in WinME (at least for me), but drivers (in particular sound card drivers) need to be WDM compliant, so if you've got a vortex II you are royally stuffed.

Comment

Working...
                  X