X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS problems?

Hi all,

I'm a longtime lurker here (3 years?).

Anyway, I have a problem with my G400MAX powered system thats been nagging me for some time. It seems that while working, the monitor will suddenly lose the signal from the PC. The monitor (Sony G500) reports that it is working fine, but has no signal. If I switch off the BNC connector to a Linux PC, the display comes on, but under win2k on the other box, the display will shut off.

When it shuts off like this, the PC is still running, and I can hear music and whatever was goign on still happening. This happens every 5 hours of usage or so, and is annoying.

Anyway, could it be the PS starting to go? Its in an INwin Q500, about 3 years old.

System:

Abit BX6 original
    C466
    256MB PC 100
    G400 MAX
    In-Win Q500 235 W
    SB Live
    etc etc

Thanks!!!

Chris

I don't think it's likely the PS.

Make sure the MAX is seated well. Inadequate insertion of a G400 is a known problem with many systems. Should be evenly and deeply inserted the entire length of the AGP slot.

If that's not it:
    What happens if you swap video cards and/or power supplies with the Linux box?

How about if the MAX is the only card in the system? Does it still quit?

How hot does your processor get? Overheating may be an issue. Good ventilation in the box?

How many drives and such do you have? Enough of them could conceivably cause your system to be underpowered by the PS. What voltages are you getting in your BIOS display?

If none of this rings a bell, post your detailed configuration and interupt assignments in the W2K box.

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 26 August 2000).]

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

The G400 has been running in the motherboard for about a year now without problems. Its only just after I went to win2k that the problems started to show up.

The CPU seems to run at 1.95v, just under the normal sv.

The box has 2 drives, a fujitsu 10GB and an oloder Quantum 6.4GB. Also a CDROM, Floppy, SBlive, and a 3c905. Thats it.

I have yet to try swapping the videocards, that might be a good idea.

I'm actually in the process of upgrading the whole machine to an A7V/800MHz T-Bird combo, so we'll see what happens after that. the BX 6 and the case are OLD though. Remember when the C266 came out, and everyone was buying them up with the BX6 (great board)? I bought them right at the beginning.

Maybe its just showing its age?

Thx

[This message has been edited by cknapp (edited 27 August 2000).]

Comment

Maybe, but it can't hurt to remove and reseat the G400. It might have been knocked loose, it does happen. Hey, it's quick, easy and free.

Mark F.

------------------
        OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
        and burped out a movie
        Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
        --------------------------------------------------
        OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
        and burped out a movie

Comment

Does increasing the cpu voltage to standard have any stabilizing influence?

How about if the MAX is the only card in the system? Does it still quit?

Be sure and replace that ps once you get the Athlon.

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 27 August 2000).]

Comment

Working...
          X