Network Login - Go Away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network Login - Go Away

Anyone know a way to get rid of the Win2K network login dialog box on bootup? Ever since I established filesharing, I've had to get past this dialog box.

Help please...

Control Panel>Users and Passwords. Deselect the box that says "User must enter Username and Password to use this computer". The other option is to use TweakUI to autoenter the Login information if it doesn't change, it didn't work all that well with NT or Win9x in my experience but it's fine with Win2000.
    Asus A7V133, Duron 750@847, 512mb PC133 Crucial RAM, G400 DH, Maxtor 7200rpm 40 & 15GB, Liteon 16/10/32, Samsung 12x DVD, SB-Live, D-Link NIC

Comment

If you use TweakUI, password must not be empty. Of course it must be empty if the password is empty, but....aw you know what I mean.

------------------
      Join the MURC SETI team!

View the exciting stats
      P5B Deluxe, C2D E6600, Scythe Ninja, G.Skill 2GBHX
      Raptor 150x3, Plextor PX-760SA, X-Fi Elite, 7900GT, 21" CM813ET Plus, CM Stacker

Comment

Actually, there is an easier way.

go to network properties and select 'windows logon' as the primary logon. Problem solved.

Dave
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Will this work with Win98?

I've been annoyed by this for a year now, but haven't been able to get rid of it.

I've been able to get rid of the windows login and all *.pwl files (password files), but that network login is still there.
          My rig: P4 3.0GHz; Asus P4C800E; 1GB DDR 3200; AIW Radeon 9800 Pro; WD 120GB SATA; Plextor DVD burner; Liteon DVD reader; Audigy 2ZS; Logitech Z560 4.1; NEC FE991SB

Kid's rig: AMD XP 1600+; 512MB ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 60GB; Plextor CD burner; Sony DVD reader; SB Live; Cambridge 4.1 speakers; NEC FE991SB

Other kid's rig: Athlon 2700+; ASUS A7N8X mobo; 512MB PC3200 ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 80GB; SB Live; Cambridge 2.1; NEC FE991SB; Liteon DVD-ROM

Comment

yup.

Comment

Thanks for the input. Problem is probably solved. Next time I reboot, I'll have my answer.

Comment

I got my answer alright. I almost wet my pants. I went into "Users and Passwords" and unchecked the box as described above. Later, I lost my connection to the internet and rebooted.

The bloody computer came up (no login dialog box) with an entirely virgin desktop! No internet connection, no e-mail, no favorites, no MS Office, no UT, nothing. I though maybe I needed to reestablish my login procedure for some bizarre reason. So I went back and checked the box again to get the login box back. Didn't fix anything on my desktop (do you guys see where this is going?).

I now resigned myself to recreating my desktop and figuring out wtf was going on. Just then, after I reestablished my internet connection, I realized that the name on the login box was "administrator" and not "Brian R." Once I logged off as administrator and logged on as Brian R., my desktop magically reappeared!!!.

As you probably know, my problem was that I highlighted "administrator" when I unchecked the box to disable the login dialog. When I selected my name and then unchecked the box, life was good again.

God, what a creepy feeling.

Thanks again. Even though I needed to get some Depends.

Comment

For Win98se since there were no "boxes" to uncheck in Users or Passwords, I tried Helevitia's method....

Yahoo! It worked like a charm. Finally no more annoying login on either of my two computers -- and they are still networked fine.
                  My rig: P4 3.0GHz; Asus P4C800E; 1GB DDR 3200; AIW Radeon 9800 Pro; WD 120GB SATA; Plextor DVD burner; Liteon DVD reader; Audigy 2ZS; Logitech Z560 4.1; NEC FE991SB

Kid's rig: AMD XP 1600+; 512MB ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 60GB; Plextor CD burner; Sony DVD reader; SB Live; Cambridge 4.1 speakers; NEC FE991SB

Other kid's rig: Athlon 2700+; ASUS A7N8X mobo; 512MB PC3200 ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 80GB; SB Live; Cambridge 2.1; NEC FE991SB; Liteon DVD-ROM

Comment

I don't know why, but I never had a login dialog box in my Win98 computers.

Comment

Win9x has that quirk. First time I installed Win98 I got rid of the login box, don't remember how. After reformatting I didn't get the login at all. This last time I got it, couldn't remember how to get rid of it, and distinctly remember setting Windows Login, but I just had to change it.
                      Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                      Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Working...
                      X