load times really slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• load times really slow

not sure what has happened but soldier of fortune & deus ex take an age to load up the levels ( SOF takes nearly 2 minutes ), every other game loads fine, its just these two. i haven't changed anything that i'm aware of to cause this change apart from defragging?, should i just re-install of is there something i can check?.

thats the thing though, they used to load as quickly as everything else now they don't. i have tried re installing both games with no change, so i'm completely stumped as to why they've both slowed down.

Comment

when it takes as long as Arcadia used to (18 minutes)on the C64 then you really have a problem
      1st system

Athlon AXIA Y 1Ghz @ 1.40Ghz, coolermaster hsf, Elite K7s6a, 512 MB Crucial DDR RAM, 20GB IBM 7200RPM Hard drive, Radeon 8500le 64mb, SB Audigy, 3 com 10/100NIC, 300w PSU, midi tower, FPS 1600 Surround, Belinea 17" monitor, Intellimouse explorer USB

System 2

Athlon TB 1.4 @ 1.5, Zalman Flower in silent mode, Elite K7S6A, 768MB DDRAM, Ati Radeon 8500le 64mb ddr, SB Audigy, 3Com 10/100NIC, 80GB IBM 7200rpm, Liteon 16 speed DVD, Lite-on 24102b CDRW, Songcheer Superwide, USB scanner, Intellimouse explorer, Microsoft keyboard, 19in iiyama Monitor, FPS1600

system 3
      Abit ST6 RAID, Celly 1.2 @1.4 ,512MB SDRAM, Zalman Flower HSF noisey mode, ATi Radeon 8500le, SBLIVE, 3com 10/100 NIC, 80GB Seagate barracude HDD, 40GB IBM120GXP, 60GB IBM60GXP,Extra highpoint controller card, 16x Pioneer DVD, Pioneer DVR-104 DVD-RW, ATX Full tower case. 300w psu, 17in LG monitor, 20in Samsumg telly, epson stylus colour 880, 200W RMS Surround sound amp with Mission M71 Speakers.

System 4
      Elite K7S5A, Duron 1.0, 128mb sdram, Coolermaster hsf, 80GB 120GXP IBM, Liteon 16x DVD, Radeon 7200 64MB DDR, SBLIVE.

Linksys 4 port router/firewall

512k Cable modem. nice

Comment

i can top that, 20mins for raid over moscow on the atari 800xl, 60% of the time the load would fail... those were the days.

at least you c64 owners had a turbo load.

Comment

Hi, i have some games that take forever to load, descent3 and earth 2150 are 2 to mention, i think it's just the way they have been made, nothing wrong with your system at all, the longest one i have is homeworld, i can near enough go and make some coffe before it's loaded in.
          regards tic
          ever started at the bottom of the ladder, worked your way up to find your leaning on the wrong wall

Comment

Tuco: Are you using Win98se? Have you been messing with any hard drive settings? How about system.ini settings like "vache=". It sounds like something with your hard drive has changed.

Similar thing happened to me once with UT (Deus Ex uses the UT engine). I caused it by messing around with the drive settings in Windows. Load times went from about 20 seconds to over 2 minutes, with the drive thrashing away the whole time.

The first time it happened, I fixed the problem with a reinstall of Win98se (I was experimenting with "write ahead" settings and couldn't reset it back to what it was). The next time, I traced it to a "vcache" setting I added in the system.ini. Once removed, everything was back to normal.

Even if you haven't (intentionally) been messing around, something may have still gotten changed. I would recommend a quick reload of Windows.
            My rig: P4 3.0GHz; Asus P4C800E; 1GB DDR 3200; AIW Radeon 9800 Pro; WD 120GB SATA; Plextor DVD burner; Liteon DVD reader; Audigy 2ZS; Logitech Z560 4.1; NEC FE991SB

Kid's rig: AMD XP 1600+; 512MB ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 60GB; Plextor CD burner; Sony DVD reader; SB Live; Cambridge 4.1 speakers; NEC FE991SB

Other kid's rig: Athlon 2700+; ASUS A7N8X mobo; 512MB PC3200 ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 80GB; SB Live; Cambridge 2.1; NEC FE991SB; Liteon DVD-ROM

Comment

hello beezer, no i'm running win2kpro & the hard drive light is off for most of the load time, drive is active for a few seconds followed by no activity for a long time, then its active for a few seconds more & the level loads. have installed Q3 & unreal tournament again & they have no problems, just SOF & deus ex.

Comment

found the problem, it was my anti-virus program running a system scan in the background.

Comment

Working...
                X