Ye Haa - Finally got my DSL too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ye Haa - Finally got my DSL too

I finally got my SDSL line up and running. 1mbps SDSL from Northpoint. Mucho $, but the speeds are very good (I've downloaded at 120K/sec), as are the pings (30 - 50 to my favorite CS server, also seen low-20s in Gamespy). My ISP requires me to purchase the Netopia R7100 SDSL Router ($500 retail, but they sold it to me for $299). Nice router, does NAT, firewall, DHCP etc. Only disadvantage of it is the 10mbps hub But its not much of a loss to me since I am only networking my computers to share the DSL line.

I have a Linksys router that does 100 mb/s. I ended up downshifting all my NICs to 10 mb/s otherwise I couldn't overclock my computers. The overclocked PCI bus did a bad thing to the signals, I guess.

Comment

The Linksys actually has a 4-port switch, which is much faster and more efficient than a hub.

Comment

Is the Netopia also a modem? or do you have a seperate modem?

Comment

The Netopia is a DSL router (only for DSL), so the modem is part of it.

Comment

My DSL router has no internal modem. The modem is separate - connected to the WAN port.

Comment

Hmm, what we call DSL modems are actually "bridges". Brian, you have the Linksys router, but that is not purely a DSL router, its designed for either Cable or DSL.

Comment

Working...
              X