DVD Stutters & Comp Tune Up - Please advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD Stutters & Comp Tune Up - Please advise

I haven't noticed anyone else having this symptom lately and I don't know if it is related to my MAX or if it is a general problem. I just set up my dual head again as an extended desktop. Now when I try to watch DVD's (Crimson Tide, Dances with Wolves, The Great Escape, LadyHawke, etc....) I will get a small stutter WHENEVER I do ANYTHING on my secondary monitor. Even if it is just right clicking with my mouse.... It is VERY annoying. Please help me fix this.

My System:
    Win98 SE
    MSI K7 PRO (110)
    Athlon 700 @ 860 (8.5 x 101 - Yeah, I know, it's pathetic but my cooling is sucking right now )
    128 megs generic PC100 ram (will do at least 110 at cas 2)
    G400 MAX
    Primary IDE has 5400 RPM 6 gig WD (2 partitions with Win98 SE on C:\ and Win2k on E:\) and a 7200 RPM 20 gig Maxtor with mp3's and games and movies
    Secondary IDE has my Yamaha CRW8424E and my Toshiba DVD (DMA is checked on both)
    SBLive!
    US Robotics 56K Fax PCI
    LinkSys 10/100 NIC (Disabled)
    I just realized I'm not sure if I have UDMA 66 cables in there. Could that be a problem?

I think I got all my hardware in there.... I'll let you know if I remember any more.

IRQ List:

0 System timer
    1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    2 Programmable interrupt controller
    3 Communications Port (COM2)
    4 Communications Port (COM1)
    5 SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus
    6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    7 ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
    8 System CMOS/real time clock
    9 U.S. Robotics 56K Fax PCI
    9 Creative SB Live!
    9 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    10 AMD 756 PCI to USB Open Host Controller
    10 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    11 Matrox Millennium G400 DualHead - English
    11 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    12 Cordless7 (PS/2)
    13 Numeric data processor
    14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    14 AMD 756 PCI Bus Master Dual IDE Controller
    15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    15 AMD 756 PCI Bus Master Dual IDE Controller

I can't think of anything else you need. Let me know though. I would quite like to fix this thing quickly...

Dimitri

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
    --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Dimi, it sounds like a task is running in the background that's causing your stutter problem. Shut down all apps no applicable to what is running and see if it calms down
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

You have MS Office installed?

Comment

Thanks guys. Yes, I have office 97 installed. I have also tried this with everything shut down. I think the only programs running in the background (I'm not sure what they are or who they belong to, but they seem to cause problems if I close them...) are Exlporer and Systray. This is what it says if I push CAD. Interestingly, it doesn't seem to make any difference in the stuttering though if I am running Seti or not.

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep em coming.

Dimitri

BTW, do my IRQ's look ok? The only thing I know about them is that nothing should be on IRQ 11 with my MAX...
        "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
        --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

Working...
        X