Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new Linksys Router/Swith info: firmware etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new Linksys Router/Swith info: firmware etc.

This is for those who expressed interest in the Linksys Router/Switch I've mentioned in other posts.
    Linksys has released the new 1.33 beta firmware which includes several new features;

1) Change the setting of filter and forwarding from single entry to range of ports.

THIS feature will help with those games not previously compatable with the router that use ranges of ports.

2) Solved the ping problem from WAN to a LAN host.

3) Add help contents about IPSec / PPTP pass-thru, remote mangement, and range setting.

4) Modifications for the IPSec+PPPoE problem.

5) URL Access log is created in the STATUS page.

6) Leased time display is in the STATUS page.

7) User-defined WAN MAC address setting can now be configured in the SETUP page.

8) Add Remote management feature.

9) Add Remote management / IPSec pass-thru / PPTP pass-thru disable/enable feature in the FILTER page.

10) Fixed the internal loopback bug under PPPoE or DHCP environment.

The link is;

http://www.timhiggins.com/support/li...ware_email.htm

Hope this is informative.

Dr. Mordrid

Thanks. This product certainly appears to be flexible and well maintained. I especially like that its OS independent. One complaint was that it was lacking various port attack logging. Do you know what the status/plans are related to this logging?
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I don't know if they plan on adding this or not.

Since the firewall blocks everything even a bit un-kosher there really isn't a need for the log other than curiosity or pursuing legal actions.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I have this router and would highly recommend it! I personally have had no problems (other than that buggy 1.30.5 firmware), but others complain of data corruption...
        www.timhiggins.com

has reviews of all routers. Seems like the Netgear RT314 and the Linksys are the best price/value routers.

Comment

1.30.5? Boy am I behind the times. Everything seems to be OK for me with the recently installed 1.30 (3rd firware I've upgraded to; yes well suported product).

Any ideas- I've gotten all working by manually entering my IP adress for the WAN side of the router. However I would like it to get one automaticaly, as my ISP likes to switch us around every once in a while (to keep us honest maybe, and/or for security). If I set it to detect it automaticaly I get no IP, but my NIC will from the cable adapter, so it can work. I might have to contact Linksys, but maybe you guys can help me first. Any ideas?

Mark F.

------------------
          OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
          and burped out a movie
          Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
          --------------------------------------------------
          and burped out a movie

Comment

The 1.30.5 had buggy DHCP... which sounds exactly like the problem you're having. Try downloading and upgrading to the new 1.33 (Available at TimHiggins.com)

Comment

Mark F;

MediaOne sometimes changes on me too but all it takes to get things working is to tell IE5 to retry on the rare occaisions when I get a connection error.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Hasn't helped, I have heard you need to register your MAC address with RR. Did you do this? That might be why I can't get an IP for the router. So far when it's happened, I plug the cable modem back into the old NIC (from MediaOne), used WINIPCFG, refresh, then transpher the cables back to the router and manually enter the new IP info. It works but is a pain.

PS. I have also heard you can chenge the WAN MAC ADDRESS for the router on Firmware 1.30 (which I'm still useing) and higher but I haven't been able to figure out how. Do you know anything about this? (Seems to defeat the purpose of a MAC)

Mark F.
                ------------------
                and burped out a movie

[This message has been edited by Mark F (edited 09 August 2000).]
                and burped out a movie

Comment

I have road runner. The install technician didn't need any MAC addresses from any of my computer equipment.

He just took down the info from the cable modem and that's about it...

Comment

Guess I should have put the words 'heard' in italics to denote that I'm not sure if either 'fact' is true. I do know for one are they serve in the NorthEast, that they need the MACs, don't know about other areas or down here in SouthFlorida.

Mark F.

------------------
                    and burped out a movie
                    and burped out a movie

Comment

Just an update. Obtained IP fine on MediaOne installed NIC, but not on self installed NIC or router. So I came to the conclusion it must be the MAC address thing. DLed 1.33Beta firmware. Changed the MAC on the router to the one of the original NIC, and bang...obtains an IP without problem.

So for anyone else unable to obtain an IP automatically form your ISP, try it. Or call them and give them the MAC of your router.

Mark F.

------------------
                      and burped out a movie
                      and burped out a movie

Comment

That's what I did. My ISP thinks my router is my NIC

Jammrock

------------------
                        Athlon 650, Biostar board, 128 MB PC133 (Crucial), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, 10/100 NIC, lots of case fans, etc...
                        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Hmm, I don't know too much about networking, but I thought the MAC address isn't visible outside of LAN?

Comment

Dr. Mordrid - Need some help please. I ended up buying a Linksys BEFSR41 router. I now have two computers hooked up to it, one running Win98 and one with W2K. I am using PPPoE and DHCP enabled. Nothing else in the router BIOS needed to be changed from the default.

What do I need to do to get the two computers to share the printer on LPT1 of the W2K computer and share files?

I know part of the answer, but I'm missing something. Thanks in advance.

Comment

enable 'file and printer shareing' (it's safe behind the firewall)

the PC w/o the printer, 'add new printer', 'network', load drivers

should work

Mark F.

------------------
                              and burped out a movie
                              and burped out a movie

Comment

Working...
                              X